User Profile
My friend is spitting up white puss every morning. She had to stop teaching 3 years ago because she lost her voice. She has been told by local doctors here in Vanuatu to stop eating hot/spicy foods. The doctors have not told her what it is but said they have to operate. Could this be the Mono virus?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2010
Mononucleosis Answer A13935
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether the symptoms that your friend experiences may indicate mononucleosis.

Mononucleosis is a contagious infection caused by the Epstain-Barr virus. It is transmitted by saliva. It is characterized by temporary weakening of the immune system, which is the cause of additional secondary bacterial infections. Individuals who experience mono, experience the following symptoms:increased body temperature, tonsilitis, enlarged lymph nodes, enlarged spleen, fatigue, muscle pain, etc.

According to the data that you described, it is not likely that your friend experiences mono. She may consider having a laringoscopy to rule out any medical conditions connected to the vocal cords. She should see a pulmonologist to exclude possible bronchiectasis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your friend to contact her doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an ENT (ear,nose, throat) specialist or a pulmonologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.