Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

whether HIV antibody test is required now again?

After 2 and half years of accidental risky encounter, and with constant burning in urethra all these days, ELISA (8 times in this period), Weston Blot Test, PCR DNA (thrice), and PCR RNA tests returned negative. But for the last 5-6 days, I have developed singleson my chest. Does this indicate infection with hiv? Do I need Weston blot test now further as suggested by Xhost

Extract from Xhost

''Feb 13, 2007

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about any of the following, so here goes:
... ... ...
In any event, until you test positive on an antibody test, you are not considered HIV + anyway. The PCR test is NOT a standalone test, and requires confirmation with, I believe, a western blot test.''
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

If any of the tests that were done (as indicated in your history) were done after 6 months of the supposed risky exposure, it is likely that you do not have the infection.

In case, you have never engaged in risky sexual behavior, chances that you could get reinfected would be unlikely.

Hence retesting for HIV would not be indicated.

Hence you can get on with your life. But make sure that you do not involve yourself in risky sexual behavior again.

Information about PCR test for HIV. In most HIV infections, the HIV RNA load would be detectable after 10 days post infection, weeks before the seroconversion. So a positive HIV-1 RNA test with a negative Antibody test will be indicative of Acute or Primary HIV-1 Infection.

Hence in cases where Acute HIV retroviral syndrome is suspected, it is recommended for HIV RNA assay to be done along with 4th Generation ELISA test for HIV antibodies and P24 antigens. Also in high risk cases, HIV-RNA-PCR can be done to detect the infection earlier, so as to initiate Anti-retroviral therapy at the earliest.

But, a Negative RNA PCR test, alone cannot be used to confirm a HIV negative status.

This is due to the fact, that once the acute infection is controlled by the immune system, the viral load decreases and subsequently may not be detected. Hence in later stages of HIV infection, when Seroconversion has already occurred (after 6 weeks) and the viral loads have subsided, 6 -16% cases (As per Studies) undergoing RNA-PCR tests will be false negative, inspite of positive Antibody tests. Hence HIV-RNA-PCR test, alone cannot be used as a screening test for HIV infection.

I hope this helps to explain your doubts.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.