Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

When will I be able to get back to my social life?

I'm a 22 year old female which just had surgery this past wednesday (3/16/11). I had sciatica really really bad due to a ruptured disk in my l5/s1. I'm feeling a whole lot better due to the fact I have no pain at all any more. I'm getting my staples removed in about 7 days sunny guess I'm being a little impatient but usually how long after removing the staples would I be able to get back to my normal social life? I already missed out on a broadway show due to the surgery, an upcoming concert, and my parents arent sure I should go to a comedy show next month about an hr away from home. I'm getting depressed being so inactive for so long due to the fact that prior to the surgery since I didnt have insurance the hospital didnt want to give me an MRI so I was in terrible pain for about a wk and a half and drugged up on narc until they finally gave me the MRI. Basically I'd really like to know when will I be able to get back into the world lol
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
What type of surgery did you have?
~~~
If you take it easy you should be on the road to recovery soon! When I had my microdiscetomy on L5-S1, I was out of work for 6 weeks, but I could have gone back sooner (I needed the break for my mental well being as well) I believe my first 2 weeks were really for letting the incision from the surgery heal and I had weird feelings of pressure in my spine week 2. But after week 2 I was in physical therapy and getting back to doing some normal things...I was actually in a wedding one month later cautiously dancing.
~~~
Don't worry, you will be ready soon, but please, do not over do yourself as that could set you back.

Melanie
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...