Yes I think I do
No I just don't
Other - I need more time
100%  100%  [ 2 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2
User Profile
The phrase "Abortion is Murder" is a phrase that has caused many heated debates on abortions and I've been disappointed by the discussions and debates.

So, I thought I would start a discussion of my own.

The phrase "Abortion is Murder" is an indictment. It is not a declaration of fact.

Pro-lifers are very much aware of the fact that (for now) voluntary abortions are 'legal.'

We (opponents of abortion) use the phrase "Abortion is Murder" in the same vernacular that some vegetarians use the phrase "Meat is Murder."

http://breakeverychain.files.wordpress.com /2010/09/meat-is-murder-copy1.png

Those (opponents of meat) who use that phrase are likely completely aware of the fact that eating meat is not an actual crime. Though, there is little doubt that they - at least some of them - would like to make it a crime to eat meat.

The phrase "Meat is Murder" is (just like ours.)

It's an indictment.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 11th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
So you would like to criminalise women who have an abortion?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2013
Consistency matters.
oopoop wrote:
So you would like to criminalise women who have an abortion?

Here in the U.S. we already have laws against murder, unjustifiable homicides, etc.

Abortions are homicides and in fact we already have some laws (under the Unborn Victims of Violence Act) which make the unjust killing of a child in the womb - a crime of murder.

I support those laws and I think there should be more consistency in our laws.

Does that answer your question?
|

replied November 25th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
So you are saying that any woman who has an abortion should be prosecuted for murder.

On the other hand, since her body is being attacked by an intruder, it would also count as justifiable homicide, according to your explanation.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
I'm vegetarian. I have never used the phrase "meat is murder" as you cannot murder an animal. You can kill one, you cannot murder one. Murder has a legal definition, whichever way you look at it. You can't just attach words with a legal definition to anything because you feel like it should be that crime. I also don't have a problem with others eating meat - why the hell should I care if someone I've never met (or someone I know) makes a different choice of diet to me? I'm married to a meat eater.

This brings me to my next point - why do you care if someone you don't know has an abortion? I've had one, did it personally have any impact on your life? Do you have any idea why I had it? Nope, yet you'd have me a criminal for making the best decision for my family back at that time (I'd do it again if needed).

Don't have an abortion if you believe it's murder but stop interfering with the wombs of women who you have never met. You have zero idea why people choose this and, trust me, not having had legal access to abortion would not have stopped me from trying to end that pregnancy.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2014
oopoop wrote:
So you are saying that any woman who has an abortion should be prosecuted for murder.

Not in every case.

Some abortions (not many) can be Constitutionally justified while others can't be.

oopoop wrote:
On the other hand, since her body is being attacked by an intruder, it would also count as justifiable homicide, according to your explanation.

I think that is a case that is much easier made for a rape or life of the mother situation... than it can be made for a case where she (and her partner) assumed the risks for pregnancy and the pregnancy resulted from their decision to take that risk.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2014
Moo wrote:
I'm vegetarian. I have never used the phrase "meat is murder" as you cannot murder an animal. You can kill one, you cannot murder one. Murder has a legal definition, whichever way you look at it. You can't just attach words with a legal definition to anything because you feel like it should be that crime. I also don't have a problem with others eating meat - why the hell should I care if someone I've never met (or someone I know) makes a different choice of diet to me? I'm married to a meat eater.

Your response might help me to clarify my point. The comments "meat is murder" and "abortion is murder" have something in common. They are not so much declarations of fact as they are claims or indictments.

Does that help?

Moo wrote:
This brings me to my next point - why do you care if someone you don't know has an abortion?

Why do I care when someone molests or kills a child in some other way or by any other means?

I suppose it's a fair question but I really don't have a simple answer for why I care. Maybe I should ask you why you DON'T care.

We have laws against most of the mothers ways children are molested and killed. I see an inconsistency in our laws that say it's a crime of murder if this guy kills your prenatal child (Unborn Victims of Violence Act) but it's something less than a murder if you pay someone to kill the child yourself.

Moo wrote:
I've had one, did it personally have any impact on your life?

No. But it's not about me.

Moo wrote:
Do you have any idea why I had it?

Would it matter if I did? Do you deny that an abortion kills a child?

Moo wrote:
Nope, yet you'd have me a criminal for making the best decision for my family back at that time (I'd do it again if needed).

Do you think we should have consistency in our laws, Moo?

If you do, how do you reconcile the difference between a law that says if a stranger kills your prenatal child - it is a murder. But, if you (figuratively you) pay someone to kill it with an abortion... it's something less?

Moo wrote:
Don't have an abortion if you believe it's murder but stop interfering with the wombs of women who you have never met.

I'm sorry but that's like having a child molester telling me to ignore child molestations unless it's a child I know personally.

I have the same first amendment rights that you or that anyone else has - to speak out against what I feel are crimes against children.

Moo wrote:
You have zero idea why people choose this and, trust me, not having had legal access to abortion would not have stopped me from trying to end that pregnancy.

I believe that children (regardless of their age or circumstances or inconvenience to others) have a right to the equal protections of our laws because our Constitution says they do.
|

replied January 19th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
Here there is no such thing as prenatal murder. If someone kills a pregnant woman and she is heavily pregnant, they will not be charged with murder.
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2014
HERE (In the U.S.) they will be.
|

replied May 17th, 2014
not everything is black and white. Of course it is wrong to end the potential for someone else to have a child, as it is against her will. But if she wants to end the pregnancy herself, she has that right, since the foetus is intruding on her body and her life. I believe a woman has a right to choose to terminate a pregnancy if she chooses. I believe that no one has the right to force her to choose abortion if she doesn't want it, since it is her body and her choice. I believe that if someone forcibly takes that choice away from her, it is incredibly sad and wrong, and that person should be charged. Abortion is a completely different issue. It is a very personal choice, and you have no right to interfere.
|

replied November 4th, 2014
I believe that abortion is wrong unless you were raped and ended up pregnant. Consented sex that results in pregnancy is not a valid reason to get an abortion. its your fault that you are pregnant, you consented. if you didn't want to get pregnant DO NOT HAVE SEX. its as simply as that I'm am a 17 year old female who is still virgin and I'm proud to be one. I have some older friends who have had a abortion in there earlier years and now regrets it. They did not feel that they were ready to have a kid. This may seem rude to all y'all but if you're old enough to lay you're old enough to take care of. These children who are going around having sex and getting pregnant need to grow up and take care of the child that they conceived. End of discussion.
|