Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

When is it serious enough for medication?

Hi,Im a 22 yr old female and monther of one. I do have acute anxiety and stress disorder (so one person has said) but they never prescribed medicine for that. I have taken anti-depressants and stuff when I was younger due to PTSD from numerous traumatic experiences. As I have gotten older my stress and anxiety have gotten much worse.I havent had to use anti-depressants for years now and do just fine without them.But over the last few years my anxiety and panic attacks have gotten more intense. The physical pain in my chest comes more frequently and more sharp. I even tend to have panic attacks while I sleep even if im not going through anything. I will wake up with heavy breathing and adrenaline rushing and a panic attack,almost as if I just ran 5 miles during a panic attack. About 2 weeks ago I couldnt sleep because my chest pains were so excruciating that it had me in tears and unable to breath because each breath, no matter how small, would hurt soooo bad. since then, and even as I type this, I have chest pains almost every day...It doesnt even have any other symptoms sometimes (like shortness of breath etc that I usually get during an attack). What do I do and when, if ever, is it really serious? What should I do? I know I will probably get told to try some kind of medication but I really try to manage it without it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2012
See your doctor and tell them your symptoms they would give you the best advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...