Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

When is it appropriate to go for the blood test?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Dear Dr.Madhumita,

Iam 36years old and have been trying to get pregnant. My periods have been regular though I have a fibroid on the fundus of the uterus. had my last periods on 31st Oct and till now have not got my periods. have tried the home preg test but it showed negative last week and today as well. When is it appropriate to go for the blood test and is it a confirmed method. Do you suggest me to wait for some more time to conduct the test.
Thanks and regards

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2011
Pregnancy Answer A29185
Hello Nidhi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Blood/serum HCG levels are more accurate in detecting pregnancy than the urine pregnancy test kits and can detect pregnancy accurately as early as 11 days post-conception. If you suspect pregnancy as the cause for your absent periods, you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). If pregnancy gets ruled out, further evaluation would be needed to look for the underlying cause for your absent periods. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you get your periods and regulate them.
Advanced maternal age is associated with difficulty in getting pregnant, recurrent miscarriages, chromosomal anomalies, and pregnancy complications. If you have been trying for pregnancy and have not been successful, you should consider getting a complete infertility work-up done for you and your partner to see if there are any underlying causes for the infertility/inability to conceive. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you get pregnant. Consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation and assistance and be in regular follow-up monitoring as instructed. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.