Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

when i look in the mirror all i see is fat.

User Profile
I am 17 almost 18 years old. I have always thought i was fat and gross. when i was 15 i was addicted to drugs and weight about 110 pounds and still thought i was fat, i got pregnant at almost 16 and gained 80 pounds. now in the last year i have had problems eating, i can go days without food and be fine, and when it comes to eating i feel full. or when i smell good i get sick. when i do finally eat, i get very sick and dizzle. my friends say i am sick and have a eating disorder but i dont think so. i love and dream about being thin, but when i look in the mirror all i see is fat, or when i look at the scale, i feel insecure. please help me, i don't know if i am anorexic or not. i need some advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2011
Eating Disorders Answer A24718
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. What you are having is anorexia nervosa and in this people may have an intense fear of weight gain, even when they are underweight. For this they may diet or exercise too much, or use other methods to lose weight.

Individual cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, and family therapy have all been successful. Talk to your family and friends openly about any fears or apprehensions, eat nutritious healthy food, exercise regularly and join some hobby classes. You may be still in the beginning of anorexia nervosa.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.