Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

What vitamins do you buy? (Page 1)

I have looked for a long time for a honest supplement company that has amazing ingredients and no toxic secondary ingredients that you can't understand when you read the label. Beyond Organic seems like a smart label.

Any review would be appreciated.
Has anyone found anything better?

Peace and good health
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2008
vitamins
i am using nature's bounty hairskin and nails. so far its been fine.
sure would like to try better ones.
|

replied August 27th, 2008
Vitamins
I am taking vitamins from a company called Melaleuca. They are a wellness company and their vitamins are naturally made and don't have any harmful ingredients in them. They also just came out with something they call Oligofructose Complex which is suppose to help the antioxidants get into your blood stream better therefore slowing down the effects of free radicals. If you want some more info, just let me know.
|

replied August 28th, 2008
Vitamins
Just posted in the other forum, but I take the GeneWize vitamins. They are tailored to your specific DNA, so there are over 500,000 different combinations of specific vitamins. As we age, our genes mutate and certain DNA SNP's can now be measured to ensure you're getting the exact amount of the correct vitamins. The science behind this is awesome!
|

replied September 9th, 2008
vitamins
i take some thing called GBG 10 in 1. its a liquid vitamin. i have been taking it for several months now and to be honest with you i feel like its doing its job.
|

replied September 9th, 2008
Platinum Naturals are the Multis we use but NOW, Sisu and Progressive all make good multis which are reasonably priced.
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2008
Now Foods has low prices, in-house testing, and recently seems to be coming up with a line of 'tru' products that are closer to nature. Other than that I take mostly Twinlab and Enzymatic Therapy.

Also generally I prefer capsules, not tablets, to avoid binders and the general feeling of stones in my stomach. (Exceptions: sustained-release Alacer Super Gram II vitamin C, Krebs magnesium-potassium by Enzymatic Therapy, enterics, and sublinguals or chewable wafers.)

Generally however the problem with 'totally natural' dietary supplements is:
1. Some no-name company makes slippery claims which are not valid.
2. Or when done 'honestly' the doses may be very low as to be unfeasible. For example a 'natural B complex' may be no stronger than a liver pill or yeast which is even more natural...!

I personally stick with moderate doses, plus natural products, plus 'coenzymate' variations, plus eat a healthy diet.

For example a good multivitamin should have about 25mg/mcg of each B vitamin. Then instead of mega b complex, I take Coenzymate B complex by Source Naturals. This includes very low-dose 'predigested' forms, as added protection for the inevitable breakdown of processing as we age. If the processing capability of one essential nutrient slows down, then year by year this logically drags everything else with it like slow dominos. And I also take liver pills and bee pollen.

I.e. just my opinion, but usually 'totally natural' vitamins are very high priced and don't make much $ense. Better to take 1/2 or 2/3 dose of good quality standard multivitamins, then add spirulina, liver, sublinguals, etc. As for basic minerals nothing beats chewble calcium citrate wafers by Twinlab, plus Krebs magnesium-potassium by Enzymatic Therapy.

My favorite multivitamin is Adam by Now Foods. Advertised 'for men' because this contains saw palmetto which in my opinion is essential for every man over 21. (Every man over 21 has a gradually enlarging prostate. Don't wait until it's been enlarging for 30 years and you have a urinary problem.)

However saw palmetto is not only for men. It is a hormone balancer similar to black cohosh for women, and both of which are even included in some women's formulas.

Adam also has advanced antioxidants ALA, CoQ10, etc. Adam also has a suggested dose of 3/day. This makes it very flexible depending on your dosage needs and how well you are eating. You might do fine with 2/day and adding natural sources as I have suggested above.
|

replied September 17th, 2008
Vitamins
I take a multi-vitamin from Usana. They're called the Essentials. From what I have read and the research I have done, they are some of the best vitamins in North America. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't love them.
|

Be careful about Usana, I just read a report on Reuters about high levels of lead in some of their products. Mostly the meal replacements. I can't post the link here but if you google it, you should find it.
|

Yeah I just read that article, that's interesting. They've worked for me so...Thanks for showing me that though. I appreciate it. What kind of vitamins do you take?
|

I usually buy whats on sale but my hubby and I take Platinum Naturals most of the time. I like them because they are in soft gels and I can get them for a reasonable price at the health food store. I have also taken Now and Progressive multis in the past with pretty good results. I look at multis as something good to take daily just to make sure but I take a ton of other supplements in addition to my multi.
|

replied September 24th, 2008
Experienced User
I started taking Usana supplements after hearing about the benefits some friends of mine were seeing. I used to have horrible allergies (specifically, cats and hayfever), but now they are nearly non-existent. I'm not saying the supplements "cured" me, but you'd have to pry these out of my hands. In fact, I loved the products so much that I got into the business of selling them myself. They have a great product line and I highly recommend them.
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Vitabase VitaComplete Liquid Multivitamin
I have tried many multivitamins but am very concerned about them absorbing in my body. I tried Vitabase VitaComplete Liquid Multivitamin and have really liked my results. I feel more energetic and focused. Best of all it taste great and gives you a large amount of nutrients.
|

replied October 21st, 2008
Hmmmm Chokko, do you sell Usana by any chance?? In general MLM products are over priced for what you get and I say that as a member of a MLM company. I have worked in the natural health field and been a sales rep servicing health food stores for over 10 years. You can get many superior products on the shelves of a store for a fraction of the cost.
|

replied November 8th, 2008
Loyal Vita Green fanatic here. I started taking them when I lived in Hong Kong and continue using them today (int'l shipping is very resonable). They claim to be a hundred percent natural and non-toxic, but of course a lot of companies make that claim. This one is just a company that I trust, for various reasons that I can go into if anyone is interested. (Sorry if my first post seems a little spammy!)
|

replied November 17th, 2008
Vitamins
I am using Usana Health Sciences multivitamins «ESSENTIALS» since 1997, my family and my friend too. I think this is the best multivitamin because it gives results. This company offers pharmaceutically graded supplements for adults- teens-children.
|

replied December 10th, 2008
For a good multi check MaxiVision's ingredients.

Even tho it was developed as an eye supplement, the ingredients list in impressive for a multi-vitamin.
|

replied January 18th, 2009
Vitamins
Yeah. I understand that as a Melaleuca member I must be biased, but I've been in Melaleuca for twelve years and as of today, don't have a single person under me. What I can tell you is that since August, when they came ouyt with the new Oligofructose Complex Vitamins, which I've been taking everyday, repolacing the other Melaleuca Vitamins which I was taking, I have definitely felt the difference. They give me more energy, and make me feel good. When I went for my checkup yesterday, the doctor said that I was perfect--and this is after eight strokes and two heart attacks. Even I can't believe it. But since my first wife died last January of a massive heart attack, I've been taking my vitamins almost religiosly. The only thing I take additionally (afterconsultation with my doctors) is two full sized aspirins in the morning and two full sized aspirins in the evening. Their enteric coated, so I feel no side effects. I take the Vitality Total 50+, plus an extra two ProVex CV, which reduce platelet activity in the veins. The ProVex CV is to be taken one for every 35 lbs., and I need a couple extra, since they only provide five capsules, but they make me feel great.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
I also use Usana vitamins and have done so since they came to Australia over 11 years ago. Approaching 60, I have very few aches and pains and am able to spend lots of time digging in the garden and doing heavy work without any side effects whatsoever. The only time I've been to the doctor is for the occasional blood test, the results of which have been within the acceptable range. I will continue to use them. I don't believe you can put a price on your health and I thank God every day for it.
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
We are on multi and right now I am adding Zinc and Vitamin C to them with this Swine Flu scare....They say that it will help....
|
Quick Reply