Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

What type of vegetarian are you? (Page 1)

What type are you?
vegan
pescatarian (eat fish only)
semi-vegetarian (eat meat occasionally)
pollo-vegetarian (eat only chicken)
Lacoto-ovo vegetarian (dairy and eggs)
other type
not vegetarian
11%  11%  [ 2 ]
11%  11%  [ 2 ]
11%  11%  [ 2 ]
5%  5%  [ 1 ]
38%  38%  [ 7 ]
16%  16%  [ 3 ]
5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18
User Profile
there alre all kinds of different types of vegetarians and I was curious, just because I had asked how long you had beena vegetarian, what type of vegetarian are you?


I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, although the only time i will eat eggs and drink milk is if they are organic.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
semi-veg. I still eat meat, but am switching to more fish and seafood. My husband is a life-long "meat and taters" guy. It's hard to change after so long, but we are trying.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
It is hard to change after so long, I at meat just about every day until I was 17 and I didn even gradually give it up, i just stopped one day. MY boyfriend hates the fact that I am a vegetarian, but he has learned to accept it. He is a meats and tators guy too
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 19th, 2008
Veggie for 12 years
I do eat eggs if they are free range. The rule is, if it once had eyes and a brain, I don't eat it! also don't eat Gelatin.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 25th, 2008
Hmmmm I wonder? Teehee.
I'm kindof odd though - for a few reasons...

like Coliejo, I ate meat every day and often scoffed at Veggies, until last year when I was 17. Okay well, it helped that I got TMJ so I couldn't chew meat anymore (except fish), but then I lost a taste for meat and now, not only is it nasty tasting, but I realize how bad (especially in America - the way it's raised and all) it can be for you!

But for some reason I eat fish but not eggs. Hm... Well, I never was a big fan of them, only occasionally having some scrambled or something. So I just kinda skip eggs now; I might eat some if they were local, though, so I would know exactly what kind of environment they were in (and they might taste different, too!)

And also, I don't drink milk! I eat yogurt, and a love Kefir, but for some reason I also don't drink milk... goat's milk is better, but still, I just have this 'thing' with milk... :-p
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 25th, 2008
Vegan for a 1.5 years
I am not sure what i fall into. I don't eat meat at all that includes fish and I don't eat eggs either. I still consume other dairy products like milk , cheese , margarine and yogart.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 26th, 2008
Re: Vegan for a 1.5 years
ilovepinkhair wrote:
I am not sure what i fall into. I don't eat meat at all that includes fish and I don't eat eggs either. I still consume other dairy products like milk , cheese , margarine and yogart.


Would that be a lacto-vegetarian maybe? I'm guessing since 'lacto-ovo' means milk & eggs then lacto would mean just milk... Wink
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Vegan for a 1.5 years
Pescetarian wrote:
ilovepinkhair wrote:
I am not sure what i fall into. I don't eat meat at all that includes fish and I don't eat eggs either. I still consume other dairy products like milk , cheese , margarine and yogart.


Would that be a lacto-vegetarian maybe? I'm guessing since 'lacto-ovo' means milk & eggs then lacto would mean just milk... Wink


Yep, you are right that woulod be a lacto-vegetarain Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 6th, 2008
I still get some dairy. However my milk diet is gone to silk. I am trying to supliment my dairy with soy alternatives.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Ricky1146, Pleaseeeee stay away from soy. The danger to your endocrine system far outweighs any benefit you think you're getting from it. The marketing hype for soy products makes me so sad and angry. So many people have been hurt by this "poison" because they believed it was healthy for them. You're much better off with raw milk if you must have a milk product. Or almond milk. Or rice milk. I used to eat a lot of soy products and drink soy milk. Now I don't even consider them food products. Sooner or later, symptoms of a health problem will show up. Take care of yourself and drop the soy (in the garbage, where it belongs).
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 3rd, 2008
I eat white fish (fish fingers / fis cakes only), but tried sole whilst on holiday.

I also eat eggs and drink milk etc. Basically, I just don't eat meat right out. So I'm like a Lacoto-ovo-pescatarian. That's what I'm calling myself.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 11th, 2009
soy?
I am lactose intolerant so I drink eighth continent soy milk daily. Occasionally rice milk, but I am enlightened to know the dangers of soy?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2009
what kind of veggie r u?
if u eat any product that was once alive u cannot call yourself a true vegaterian,why if u eat fish would u even consider urself as one.or unless iv been asleep since i became a veggie 23years back i didnt know a fish was vegetable!dont kid urself and b sure ur doing it for the right reasons.i.e because u want a healthier lyfestyle,or like me doing it for the love of animals.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 1st, 2009
I am vegan since birth.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: soy?
WatchYourSpeed wrote:
I am lactose intolerant so I drink eighth continent soy milk daily. Occasionally rice milk, but I am enlightened to know the dangers of soy?


If you consume Soy products as your primary source of protein or worse yet to the exclusion of natural meat protein, you could end up like like the 2/3s of the population of Thailand. My guess is that it would make you Thai? Maybe you'd be in danger of being slim and tan? I dunno. Really your body has needs based on it's genetics. You shouldn't be making a radical departure from the food that your fore bearers consumed as your body will have a harder time drawing full nutrition from it. However, calling soy a "poison" is a bit nutty.

As for what kind of vegetarian I am, I draw the line at eating other humans. It's just so immoral no matter how delicious they are. But I'll eat pretty much anything else that has sustained humans through history. I feel it's important to keep our species omnivorous lest those damned dirty apes take over.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 1st, 2009
Experienced User
"Calling soy a "poison" is a bit nutty". Wolf, five years ago I would have agreed with that statement. Sadly, now I can't think of a more appropriate word for soy. And my son is paying the price for my mistake. The misrepresentation of soy as a "health food", when so many consumers have developed thyroid and other endocrine gland damage as a result of its use, is as criminal, in my opinion, as calling tobacco a safe substance.
After doing some research due to my son's illness, I have come to the conclusion that vegetarianism is not the healthiest way to eat, long term, for most people, and especially not children. Still, having been a vegetarian for 15 years, I can only tolerate a little organically raised chicken or turkey. Any other animals, as a food source, is too distasteful to me. (sigh) I know too much.

I wouldn't try to prevent any adult from being vegetarian. (meaning pure vegetarian, lots of vegetables - no dairy, eggs etc.) For the most part. it works, as a healthy way to detoxify and renew the body. There are a few amino acids that should be supplemented, such as taurine, for people who have never eaten meat, but everyone, including vegetarians must be careful about what they're actually getting from their food (and not getting).

As for the dangers of soy, they are so numerous, I will have to recommend the book, The Whole Soy Story, by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN. Well documented research. Some of it is hard to believe, but my child's illness (and his many lab tests) support what is brought out in this book.

I hope everyone enjoys some really good holiday food! Just don't eat the tofurky!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 1st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
So are the people of Asia immune to all poisons or just Soy? Their diet is primarily based on the soy bean. Most schools in America supplement their meat with soy beans. Worldwide pound-for-pound the world produces more Soy than Chicken. I'm sorry your son reacted poorly to a diet that differed than what his body could process but calling the building block of most of the bodies on the planet a poison is an insanity.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Sigh. American soy products are processed differently. They are not at all like the "healthy" soy of ancient cultures. The world is producing (and pushing) an enormous amount soy, and endocrine disease is rising at an alarming rate. There is some form of soy in almost every processed food in America. Actually, soy plays only a small part in the average Asian meal, and it's usually fermented soy.

Eating soy in small amounts, occasionally, is something most people can tolerate. The human body can take in and handle a lot of toxins before it starts to break down and show signs of disease. I used to enjoy a variety of soy products thinking they were the best convenient source of vegetable protein around. Now I know the risk is too great.

Read the book. (not the only source of info, but maybe the best place to start.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 27th, 2010
Re: What type of vegetarian are you?
coliejo wrote:
there alre all kinds of different types of vegetarians and I was curious, just because I had asked how long you had beena vegetarian, what type of vegetarian are you?


I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, although the only time i will eat eggs and drink milk is if they are organic.


Hi
Im a pollo-vegetarian ..I love chicken ...So i will eat only chicken ...

|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 27th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry Honeycomb
Even if you discount asian soy as different, a large segment of American culture consumes soy products in large doses. It suppliments, or even replaces wholley, meats in institutional settings and in most processed foods, it is an allergenic substitute and a health food. If it were indeed a poison to our species endocrine disease would be running rampant through the population. There's no accounting in your argument as to why the thousands of other Americans that consume an obscene amount of soy products are not experiencing any health complications over long term exposier.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
12