Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

What to expect without treatment

My 87 yo MIL started having black diarrhea about 5 months ago. She is in very good health otherwise, but CT scan showed a large mass in her upper Colon. A colonoscopy was done to remove several polyps and a biopsy confirmed that the tumor was cancer. She opted to do nothing more - no tests or treatments. She has had a couple of UTIs and was admitted to the hospital a month ago because of a blood infection (because of bleeding at the tumor site). Because she doesn't want to pursue any treatment, she was dismissed after 5 days of IV antibiotic, and placed on hospice. She seems to be doing extremely well - so much so, she wonders if the diagnosis was a mistake. I know each person is unique and the path of the cancer is very individual, but SURELY someone could tell me generally what to expect. I am her sole caregiver, with young children to care for as well. When she was placed on hospice, I quit my job to care for my MIL, but am wondering if that was a mistake. I cannot put my life on hold indefinitely, but if she only has a few months, then I want to be here for her. I know she could have a heart attack and die today, so I don't expect to hold anyone to an exact time, but it has been very frustrating to try to find info about someone refusing treatment . Can anyone help me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2018
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The prognosis depends upon the grade and stage of the tumor. Further progression without treatment is unpredictable because it depends upon the biology of the tumor. Some tumors may be slow growing and slow to invade or metastasize. Thus having a better prognosis. You may request her to review the diagnosis and associated prognosis in consultation with her gastroenterologist to have a better idea of what to expect.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.