Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

What's wrong with me? I'm not sure if it is panic attacks :/

This has been happening for about six months now- Firstly, I stare into space for a while, then I start shaking and sweating and then I get a burning sensation in my head, it feels like my brains on fire, and then the room starts spinning and i start panicking and i have to splash my face with water or go somewhere cool. This is always happens when i go to public places like clubs etc, when i was on holiday it happened and i was really upset because i just wanted to have fun like a normal teenager! Also, alcohol triggers all of this, I haven't drank for 6 months. One day i had a drink, and all of the above began happening and ever since i cannot sip a drink, but it happens without drinking too. Please help it's really annoying and starting to depress me that i can't go out with my friends! Sad Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi chloedemaret....Real often things like this will happen if you wait for them to happen...You build it up in the back of your mind and it can kind of "force it" to happen...Try relaxing and have some stories to tell you friends as soon as you see them...Make the sequence of events to happen different...You know, kind of control your destiny and not let it control you....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 10th, 2010
i suffered with panic attacks when i was 12-17. the trigger would normally be flashing lights i always thought i had epilepsy or some sort of rare disorder. i could not control it i had a flashing light in the corner of my eye and i panicked really bad to a point were i would be crying or wanting to die my heart would race i would be dizzy be really hot and i would feel a horrible shrinking sensation to hard to describe it felt like hell and even now thinking about it it still is. i thought i was gonna be like that for the rest of my life.

sorry bout that story. well heres the good part......
after all of those years of going through torture my mum gave me a book on techniques on how to calm down and it explains how that wen u panic u panic even more because u are panicking if that makes sense and its talks about how its all in your head but the flashing light i will never understand. anyway heres a few techniques i learned from it if u can find a quiet place some where to lie down some where cool to do this. u can even practice it now if u want.

lie on your back in a dark room some where comfy and shut your eyes very tightly for ten seconds until u can feel the muscles strain and then slowly open them then tense your jaw shut tight again ten seconds and slowly release and do the same in this order with your shoulder muscles, arms, abs, legs (straighten them out) and finally feet but remember to release slowly. when you have dove this your body should feel more relaxed rather than tense. the next step is to slowly shut your eyes and feel your body sinking into whatever u are laid on preferably a bed and think of happy moments in your life. when i done this i always thought of flying through clouds.

if it does not get u relaxed try it again and if your wondering how it is supposed to help u while u are out with mates it will the exercise makes u find new ways on how to stay calm. if u want further info consult your doctor, but i really hope this works for u as it has me thank u for reading this take care of yourself..
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...