Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Economic Recession Forum

What products have you stopped buying?

User Profile
...because of the recession?

For me, I've not really changed a lot or been required to go without. But, I live in a developing country and the prices here are 1/4 of the prices in the U.S.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2009
Experienced User
Recession Restrictions
Yes Rooted, so far I am in the same boat as yourself. Actually did a thing I don't nornally do to-day ie spent some $US16:00 ($AUS26:00) on three snapper this morning. They are a bit big but wanted these three for lunch guests to-morrow. And I was not going to change the menu I have planned. Ah well.

I am doing fine as have ComSuper penion and thankheaven for that. The super was the reason why I joined public service. Plus other assests are in a core based super fund, it lost some 6%, which is liveable.

So far and although some in Australia are losing jobs, we as a whole are not doing too badly. However vegies, fruit, milk and its products, fish and supermarket prices(meat seems to be okay so far) have all gone up. Thus some on Employment Benefits are not doing too good, well they never were actually. Drought and the economy have something to do with the prices rises.

However, in spite of the $42,000,000 that Rudd is pouring into the enomony(sp) I don't think that we have seen the end of this by any means. Property prices down, thus some have lost on their investment properities. And Australia is going to be hit more than it is at present. Tis a wait and see game.

We are lucky in that our banks are all stable at present.

Regards,

JennyRobin
|

replied February 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Well i live in
England....and the prices on food shopping has gone up considerably.....I have to be careful what things i am buying because i don't have a lot of money....I hope it stops soon.....Jenny
|

replied July 13th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
so grow tomato & cucumbers in hanging pots, pots on the sidewalks windowsills out the back door, on the porch anywhere you can grow food.
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2009
Experienced User
J3nny UK
Yeap I know well about the prices of food in the UK. Was there with son in 1999 and I nearly died. Yipes too much for me! And that was some nine years ago.

I was in London with friend in 1994 and 1989 and the food prices were fine.

Ah accomodation: Was $17 each for a night in a B&B in 1989 and 1994 (might have gone up a little between 1989 and 1994). But was $75 in 1999 in Paddington. Yipes.

Was seriously thinking of find a cosy spot in Hyde Park Smile

Note the $ symbols mean pounds. Oh I am assumsing that you are in the UK due to your name

Regards,

Jenny
|

replied February 20th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Hey yeah i am from uk Razz
|

Active User, very eHealthy
I live in the US and so far my husband I have not had to change much as a result of the economy. We did go ahead and sell some stock in companies before they fell any further. A positive thing is that because of the low housing prices we were able to get a great deal on a duplex and had it rented out with in a week of advertising. If you have the credit and a downpayment, then purchasing real estate, either to live in or rent out, is a really good investment right now. With the mortgae companies tightening up on lending practices, more people are going to be forced to rent rather than own...so more cash in your pockets if you are the owner of rental properties.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Good On You
Hey great that you and your husband got rid of some of you stock.

I feel in and had some of mine in bonds etd. Lost about 6% but that is okay, as not my main source of income.

Was thinking like you to go into real estate, but am retired but this does not mean I would not get a loan. They cannot discriminate on the grounds of age. Smile

It would mean moving money having a loan and I am not that sure I wish to do this at this time.

It is most certainly a buyers market.

I can never understand for the life of me, why people and even if the banks etc will lend to them, why these people do not realise that they do not have enough income to pay their loans and do not factor in an increase in interest rates. Or the cost of the various ultities.

Here in Australia there is a bit of blaming the banks. The last time I looked adults were responsible for their own actions.

JennyRobin
|

replied October 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'm eating out less, prices at resturaunt have jumped up as much as 40% locally. But I'm spending a lot more money in other places. There have been a lot of very deep discount sales over the last year. I've probably trippled my consumer spending just on things I've been wanting but couldn't justify the expense of.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
In this we have to buy only necessary things. We have to control on our monthly extra expenditure.
|
Quick Reply