Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Miscarriage and Stillbirth Forum

what other signs/symptoms I should look for?

User Profile
Hello, I am 39 years old, and have been told in the past that I am unable to carry a pregnancy so I have not used an kind of contraceptive in the last 8 years. I have been told that often I miscarry 3 to 6 weeks into pregnancy and that I may not know it because it will simply look like an early/late period that is particularly heavy. I finished my last period 11 days ago and it was on-time and normal, but today I started bleeding. The blood is a sticky, dark red/brown color. I am also experiencing mild cramping. I am normally very regular with a 28 to 30 day cycle and a period that lasts 3 to 4 days. I have read that mid-cycle could possibly be an ectopic pregnancy, a regular pregnancy, a change in hormone level or even premenopause. I am wondering what other signs/symptoms I should look for, that would indicate that something is very wrong (i.e. ectopic pregnancy)?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A35707
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The dark and altered midcycle bleeding that you describe could be suggestive of hormonal changes, infections, endometritis, ovarian cysts, use of any medications, ectopic/regular pregnancy, menopausal changes, etc. It is difficult to comment on the cause for your symptoms without examining you and going ahead with further evaluation. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the abnormal dark vaginal bleeding that you describe. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and regulate your periods. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Miscarriage and Stillbirth , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.