Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Pharmaceuticals Forum

what medicines are an alternative to Flagyl with Cipro?

User Profile
I was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst. about 20lbs-2 months ago. It was removed Nov 1st along with a complete historectomy. It was very large and invasive but benign. At my two week post op apt, the doctor said I had an infection. I was prescribed Augmenten 750 mg for two weeks. I went back and still had the infection so another 2 weeks of Augmenten. This time I still had the infection and was prescribed Flagyl 500mg and Cipro 500mg for another 14 days. Each appointment I have felt improvement but I don't feel that the Flagyl and Cipro are working any faster or better than the Augmenten. However, the side affects are not fun.
my doctor based her diagnosis on her internal exam. No tests were taken.
I told her I had a cruise planned for New Years and do not want to take this medicine on my cruise. I will have been on it 10 days. What other medicines are an alternative to this treatment for the week I am on the cruise?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2014
Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Answer A45703
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

If the infection is persisting, and you were responding to Augmentin, then probably, you could continue it for another week in consultation with your doctor. Also, find out if you have diabetes as this can cause an infection to persist.

If you still do not get relief, then you will need to stop all antibiotics and give a vaginal swab for culture and maybe even give blood for culture.

Sometimes the vaginal infection responds to oral or vaginal probiotics, so ask your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pharmaceuticals , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.