Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

What is the best choice for breast biopsy?

Dear Doctors,

Following a mammogram, my OB/GYN informed me that I have a lump (not a cyst) in one of my breast and have dense breast tissue. I will be having a biopsy next week and would like to know of the two main biopsies (core needle or open) is more accurate and safe. In addition, which procedure do most women tend to choose? Thank you for your time ~

Best Regards,
Helen
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Core needle biopsies are more preferable and usually sufficient.These lesions should first and foremost be definitively diagnosed by using image-guided needle biopsy. After needle biopsy, some of these lesions may require diagnostic or therapeutic surgical biopsy. If a malignant or indefinite diagnosis is obtained, surgical excision is indicated. This, in turn, requires accurate localization of the lesion, which is required to ensure correct and adequate removal of the lesions and to minimize the degree of cosmetic disfigurement.
Nut shell, core needle biopsies after mammograms and then excisional biopsies are next option as per the histopathological report.
I hope it helps
Take care
|

replied April 13th, 2018
When other tests show that you might have breast cancer, you will probably need to have a biopsy. Needing a breast biopsy doesn't necessarily mean you have cancer.

A cyst in the breast may feel like a bump, yet upon examination, the knot is a little, for the most part, innocuous sac loaded with liquid instead of a malignant or favorable piece of cells
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.