Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

What is my purpose in life now? I'm depressed.

I am 27, single, and I used to think the meaning of life was to find the perfect person and start a family. Well that hasn't happened yet and now I feel like I have nothing to hold onto. What do I do with my life? Just wait around for death to set in? I live alone with my cat, I work so I can afford to live, I really don't have that one thing that I'm good at. I don't really have a passion. I'm moderately decent at everything I do, trade skills, crafts etc... Where do I go from here? Death scares me and I can think about it constantly and analyze it. But I don't want to live to die... But how do I go about living? I don't want to waste my time here but I don't know what to do since I don't see a successful relationship any time in my future
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
Experienced User
You are only 27. Give it a chance. Do you mix? Go out?

Sounds like you have fellen for the media hype, that we all have a purpose and it is the same for all of us.

There is no purpose for me, or you. We make our own purpose during our lives, we don't wait for it to happen as it won't.

You have to live to die but at your age I'd have to say you've seen too much Seinfeld, George in particular. Life is what you make it and death is at the other end, whenever. Worrying about it makes no difference at all except you waste your life doing it.

Forget it and just live, take some risks.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
See, I HATE Seinfeld. What I'm saying is that there was always something to strive for. What do I strive for now? What am I suppose to look forward to? What am I living for?
|

replied March 4th, 2012
See, I HATE Seinfeld. What I'm saying is that there was always something to strive for. What do I strive for now? What am I suppose to look forward to? What am I living for?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
Experienced User
What are you living for? You know, I don't. I can go through the usual spiel if you like but in the end it is what you want to do. Make a list of good things, things you'd like to do or be. And a bad list too as that should be easy.

You hate George cos he's like you. In real life people like him make you want to throttle him.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....