Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

What is causing me to be dizzy/lightheaded?

This morning I went to the gym. It was my first time going in a couple months, so I was taking it easy. Before I left I ate a bowl of rice chex with milk. I had been working out without much intensity for about 25 minutes. As I was walking on the treadmill I started feeling extremely dizzy. So I stopped the treadmill and started walking to the locker room. As I was walking everything started going black and sounds started to become very muffled. I honestly thought I was going to pass out. I made it to the locker room and sat with my head down. I was sweating profusely, but not from working out too hard. It was a cold sweat. After sitting for about 5 minutes I was able to get up and drive home, but I still didn't feel completely myself until I came home and ate something. I am concerned about this though, because this sort of thing has been happening to me more and more frequently lately. Usually it happens first thing in the morning, though. Sometimes I will get in the shower and start to feel so dizzy that I have to lay on the shower floor. Eating afterwards usually helps, but is this something I should be concerned about? Has anybody else had this happen to them? I don't know if this makes a difference, but I am a 20 year old female and I have a very healthy BMI.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2014
Thank you for asking!
morning vertigo when recurrent should always be started with looking for a pregnancy. Simple hormonal changes may cause that.After that vestibular function assessment is the next step. Sweating profusely ,might be associated with strenuous exercise you do and that itself leads to electrolytes imbalances and dizziness. Nut shell, thousand of possible etiologies ,mostly innocuous at your age.
get a GP evaluation and see what comes up as the cause of your dizziness.
No worries.Visit our health centre for further guidance.
Take care
http://ehealthforum.com/healthcenter/
|

replied June 27th, 2014
I get vertigo a lot in the mornings. But if eating helps you, you might have a problem with your blood sugar. It would be especially low in the mornings since you've not consumed anything in a few hours. Staying hydrated is also important so that the nutrients your body needs is spreading through your system. Carrying glucose tablets with you as a backup plan in case you can't eat at the moment is always a great idea
|
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.