Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

what has caused me to get a yeast infection again?

User Profile
I'm curious as to what has caused me to get a yeast infection again (as this is what it appears to be). I had unprotected sex with my partner before i was on any birth control so went to a clinic the next day for the morning after pill. I was also examined and given meds to treat BV and a yeast infection. I have since had unprotected sex almost every time with my partner about once a week and 10 days ago start taking the pill. Things were all fine but this week we had sex 3 times in 24hrs with him ejaculating in me, i have since noticed i have itching and a white cottage cheese like discharge. After sex peeing burned so that in itself made me worry. Usually during sex he ejaculates in me and the next day or so i have a weird odor and different discharge but it only lasts a day or 2, is this normal? What am I experiencing? Did i infect my partner just before I got treated and have been reinfected? Why do I get a fishy sort of odor the day after sex? What could all I have said mean?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2011
Yeast Infection Answer A29007

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the recurrent yeast infections. Candidiasis is caused by the overgrowth of yeast-like fungi called Candida. Candida inhabits the vagina, mouth and digestive tract in small numbers and is normally harmless. When the balance of naturally occurring organisms in the vagina is disrupted an overgrowth of Candida can occur.

Take some precautionary measures like avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and pantyhose and underwear made from synthetic fibres. Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming, avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries, change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep. Also use some antifungal pessaries.

If still the symptoms persist then oral antifungals may be needed. Please consult a gynecologist in that case. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.