Hi folks

I have been told to go on a low fat diet due to high cholesterol - most recent reading of 7.3. I'm confused as to how high this is due to different info on the net and from what my GP said recently. He took my blood pressure and put the details onto a website that came back with 8 - now he said that if it was up in the 20's I would need to be started on statins due to my/my family other health problems but being the patient on the day being told this, I didn't ask the questions I should have.

My grandad had had trouble and my Mum's identical twin had high cholesterol of 8.3 when she took a heart attack; she does smoke and is in her 50's.

I have under active thyroid, fibromyalgia, battle depression for years and being tested for rheumatoid arthritis. My blood pressure is fine, I don't smoke or drink now but I am overweight.

Can anyone help me to identify what this 7.3 (then 8 from the website) means?

Thanks in advance Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

The recommended values for adults in general and comparative levels in your case are as follows:

LDL: 70-130 mg/dL (lower numbers are better)
HDL: more than 40-60 mg/dL (high numbers are better)
Total cholesterol: less than 200 mg/dL (lower numbers are better)
Triglycerides: 10-150 mg/dL (lower numbers are better)

There are innumerable health indices that are used by doctors all over the world to assess the risk to health.

Without proper and complete history as well as lob results, it will be difficult to interpret the labs you want to know.

You might consult your treating doctor for clarification, and that might clear your persisting doubts.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.