I probably have IBS (type A/alternating constipation and diarrhea) and maybe mild GERD. Well I recently went to the bathroom after being constipated for several days and found that my stool came out in tiny pellet-like lumps (obvious sign of constipation), but they were really dark in color. Totally solid, nothing unusual aside from being dark. They weren't exactly black but they definitely weren't the medium brown you'd expect for a normal bm. I've read that black stool can be caused by bleeding in the upper GI tract such as from an ulcer, though, so I was concerned. Can you have bleeding without the sticky/tarry texture and bad smell? Or is it more than likely nothing to worry about? Also, I recently ate blueberries, which I have heard can cause this. I know I'm being a hypochondriac but I just worry sometimes. I also haven't been going much, and I've read that the longer your stool stays in your colon the darker it can get, especially if you're dehyrdated. Is that true?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Experienced User
Sticky/tarry stool may be an indication your body is not processing fat correctly or is getting too much of it and may not actually be relevant to blood content in it. Black stool can be caused a few things such as eating blue berries or even eating dark meats that is why a fecal occult test is often done when a doctor is suspicious of GI bleeding. Dehydration as far as I am aware does not have anything to do with the colour of the stool just the texture of it. If your having difficulty going, a diet change with higer fiber content plus a fiber supplement such as metamucil or fiberlax coupled with lots of water can help. Often more then not it helps individuals with IBS-A.

As to the coulour of your stool I wouldn't be worried. However, as to the long period of constipation I would be concerned as this may be a symptom of fecal impaction. Accordingly, I would suggest a doctor who will more then likely give a specific laxative that help soften the stool. However, this can prevented by drinking more water.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...