Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

What could be the reason of throat clearing for almost 2 months?

I'm posting on behalf of a close family member - somewhere around the beginning of December, she started experiencing frequent but very short dry coughs (literally "ahem ahem" and that's it). Over the weeks, the cough became less and less prevalent and the dry coughs were replaced with productive throat clearing - around late December the coughs were rarer and rarer while she frequently had to hem to clear the throat (every time there actually was something to clear so it was no longer dry).

Around the beginning of January both the hemming and coughing suddenly disappeared and for some three days, she did neither. Then the hemming came back and it stays up to today. It's not constant and varies highly around the day - sometimes she rarely ever hems and only starts in the evening, sometimes she does hem very frequently in the afternoon while in the morning and in the evening - nothing. There were also one or two days when suddenly the dry cough came back for some one hour and then disappeared. She also had a few days when the dysphonia was clearly hearable but now it seems to be gone. Now the only thing that's left is the hemming to clear her throat though most of the time it's either gone or rather weak now (though yes, there usually is a 1 or 2-hour period during the day when the throat clearing is more pronounced and some occasionals throat clearings on other occasions).

What may be the reason? There are no other symptoms at all and as I said, it varies highly depending not only on a day but also on the time of day. It's still pretty frequent but sometimes it's really frequent - and sometimes it only happens once in a while. As for her point of view, she says she hems cause she feels there is something to clear from the throat and she feels dryness there and as for the coughing (which happens very rarely now, as I mentioned) she says she does it when she feels dryness and there is this tingling sensation which makes her cough. In the last week she bought herself a A+E Vitamin + Aloe spray for dryness and it seems to greatly help her so that her hemming is greatly reduced - but it's still there. Also, she works with her voice (lecturer), if that's important.

Oh, and the description of our patient:

Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3"
Weight: 132lbs
Duration of complaint: around 7-8 weeks
Any existing relevant medical issues (if any): none
Current medications: none
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 30th, 2015
No ideas?
|

replied February 15th, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
I only got to read this today. But has she been checked by now? Not allergies?
|

replied February 20th, 2015
Around two weeks ago she started having dry cough after being in a AC'd room for a long time and it turns out it was some kind of an infection cause she was having violent dry coughs that day - she took cough suppresant and it went away and some two days later it changed to the regular wet cough one has during the cold (she also had fever for one day and sneezed quite a bit). Since then, she almost nevers clears her throat anymore though she coughs but as of right now, I guess she'll wait a few days before seeing the doctor cause 10 days of coughing may still be the leftovers from the cold I was talking about. Guess I'll push her to go see a doctor when it lasts more than two weeks, what do you think?

Oh, also since the infection started, she sometimes has strong dry cough in the morning lasting 10-15 minutes now but as soon as she moistens her throat (drinking her morning tea, starting to eat) it changes to wet, productive cough for the most of the rest of the day. No throat clearing at all anymore. What do you think, is it also connected to the cold she caught and it's just that something builds up during the night and irritates the throat area but is hard to cough off until it's properly moistened?
|

replied February 20th, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
I'm just a common layman.but is ths not allergic cough? I cant really tell, but it could also be factors as temperature in early morning, dust, etc. Maybe overall strengthening immune system needed, but doc could also better diagnose wd some tests perhaps.
|

replied February 21st, 2015
Dr, I have been taking thyroid throu,now I am having hot flushes and excessive sweating. What can I do to stop this menopause symptoms
|

replied February 21st, 2015
Dr, I have been taking thyroid throu,now I am having hot flushes and excessive sweating. What can I do to stop this menopause symptoms
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....