Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

What causes my finers to cramp uncontrolably?

The last two fingers on my left hand close uncontrolably and severe pain. I can't close my hand into a clenced.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2011
Try asking your doctor about Arthritis. Arthritis is the inflammation (swelling) or one or more joint which results in pain, swelling, stiffness, and limited movement....so maybe your joints are cramping up?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
M70871,

Cramping of the muscles is usually from either ischemia to the muscle or from a nerve disorder. Since it is the small finger and ring finger, the Guyon canal might need to be looked at. These fingers are innervated by the ulnar nerve, which runs through Guyon's canal. The ulnar artery also travels with the nerve. You can get compression of both of these structures within the canal.

Problems here are commonly in seen in manual labors who hit things with their palm (like putting on hubcaps) or who use impact tools. It is also seen in athletes who use racquets, bats, or clubs. It is made worse by smoking.

If the symptoms are severe enough to interfere with your daily activities, you should see a hand surgeon.

Good luck.
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....