Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

What causes female groin pain?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am a 40 year old with type 1 diabetes and over the past year I have had lymph node in my right groin that swelled up numerous times and was very painful. When I first saw a Dr she wanted to have an asperation/cat scan on it (or something like that) well, my insurance didnt cover it so I didn't have the procedure done. the swelling soon went away and didn't come back so assumed everything was fine. Moving on, I have aching in that same area which now seems to radiate through my right hip. It wakes me up at night when I change positions as if I'm really stiff and it's VERY sore. Also I have pretty bad low back pain. What is also a bit disturbing is I seem to have some of this same soreness under my arms, and now occoasionally on the left groin area. I can feel the lynph node on the right side, it is not sensitive to touch, just like a pebble in there.
I tend to feel bad a lot but that always seems to be blood sugar related. I do not run fever or wake up in severe sweats. The more I think about it, the more paranoid I become. I don't want another major health issue to do with!
Does anyone have any thoughts? Could I just be reaching the age where hips and joints are just going to hurt?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of your history appears to be either due to benign skin infection induced lymph node enlargement. Other possible cause of deep seated pain in the hip could be degenerative joint disease or osteoarthritis of the hip joint causing the pain.

For a proper evaluation of the condition, a few blood tests (including a complete hemogram, a peripheral blood smear) can be done to check for presence of infection in the blood. A physical examination can rule out any skin infection or allergy related issues.

A Xray or MRI of the involved hip can rule out any erosions or soft tissue damage in the hip.

In addition to specific treatment of the underlying conditions, calcium and Vitamin D supplements to prevent osteoporosis and pain killers like advil or Tylenol can help to control the pain.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: 40yrsyoung 
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.