Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

What can I eat on a gluten free diet?

What are some of the ingredients I should stay away from when trying a gluten free diet? Can some one reference a good website that says what I can and can't eat? I have been suffering daily nausea for 3 months now. I have had several test done and my doctor is suggesting I try the gluten free diet to see if I feel any better.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2013
Hi, my mom has been Gluten Free for 4 years and the first book I bought her was called "The G-Free Diet- by Elisabeth Hassellbeck" you can also google her book it is an amazing book!! she discusses her struggle with Celiac and what you can and can't eat...she actually found out she was Celiac when she was on Survivor!!...hope this helps...other good books are "Gastrointestinal Disorders and Nutrition by Tonia Reinhard, M.S., R.D."
|

replied September 25th, 2013
The easiest is to pick foods that are naturally gluten free. Fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts. I've been gluten free for a year and in the beginning I ate really basic out of fear and tired of reading every single label. It will be frustrating to know how many things have wheat in them, but hang in there. Many companies are producing gluten free foods but be careful because junk food is still junk food, gluten free or not. Gluten free is more a health necessity than a diet trend, like most people don't get. You can get just as heavy on a gluten free diet if you are eating mostly processed foods.
|

replied November 6th, 2013
I have been gluten free for a while now 3+ years. At first I thought about everything I couldn't have - now I look at what I can eat. My son is also GF, we noticed he was having trouble in school and took wheat out of his diet - he now easily gets As and Bs. Anyhow, if you have a cookie craving = Pillsbury has a mix that is so close to Nestle Toll House it is surprising. Also, I make cakes all of the time - there is a cookbook - The Cake Mix Doctor bakes GF and it is amazing. There are various flour mixes out there that are very good as well. I have found that staples people eat, such as pancakes are the same GF or G-Full. My family does not notice the difference. I missed fried chicken for the longest time - found Kentucky Kernel, which is a coating mix for chicken - I literally cried the first time I ate it. There are so many wonderful foods out there that are GF and actually healthier for you/us. I also had numerous female problems that are reported to be related to Celiac - those are gone Smile Goodluck - when I stopped feeling sorry for myself (which I did for about 6 or 7 months) and started embracing the positive changes and looking for the positive I really am glad for my diagnosis. I have never felt better physically and mentally. God Bless!
|
Tags: Diet, nausea
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....