Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

What can be done about extremely swollen legs and feet?

I used to get swelling on my left leg and foot. I recently had a knee replacement on my left leg and now my right leg as well as my left leg are 3x their usual size. I am a diabetic with high blood pressure and have had to have a thyroid removed. What could be causing this swelling? It is very painful and I can barely walk. The bottom of my left foot is turning black. I have had my circulation tested and they claim it is fine and that I do not have any heart issues. They checked the left knee for blood clots and say there are none there but did not check anywhere else.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

The most likely causes of unilateral swelling of a leg in individuals include – infection or injury of the foot( ankle sprain, ruptured bakers cyst, etc) , venous insufficiency, low protein content in blood (Hypoproteinemia), Cardiac, renal or liver disorders. Thrombotic disorders (DVT or Superficial thrombophlebitis) can also present with leg edema.

In women who are menstruating, fluid retention is induced by elevated levels of estrogen. This is self limited and would subside with measures like rest and limb elevation.

It would be recommended that you get a few tests including – Complete blood counts, urinalysis, electrolytes, Creatinine, blood sugar, TSH levels, Liver functions (including protein levels).

Other tests including a doppler ultrasound, blood coagulation tests (Bleeding time, clotting time, Prothrombin time, INR) may be recommended based on clinical examination findings by your doctor.

Based on the findings of the tests , a proper medical diagnosis can be done and this can help in proper management of your condition.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.