Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

What Bipolar does To me and Relationships

User Profile
Hi everyone-

I was reading my friend stream and all the help needed on a loved one with bipolar. I hope it's ok if I create a post on it. I hope you can get another perspective..,or whatever you can get out of it!

A lot of people struggle with "running away". I have had this happen. A year ago, a best friend...more like family ran away for two days. We all panicked it was devastating so I know how painful that is. We had a talk and I get this answer a lot, "I needed space". A lot of people feel they need to get out or even go some place random to wind down. Some people feel paranoid. I would do it (haven't before) and not tell anyone to get peace because I rarely trust anyone without the disorder to take care of me. If all they do is call me names or get angry at me, I try to "fix myself" however I can because I don't know how to without being misunderstood.

My family relationships are all over the place. Mainly because they refuse to learn about what I'm going through. Bipolar is very very painful, even if someone is good at hiding it. You need support. There are also different types. Keep in mind we take everything you say to heart. Even if you can't tell.
I have felt the worst loneliness, depression, pain, anger because of misunderstanding and the stigma attached to it. Most people without it know how to cope. We have no idea. We don't know what you mean or what you want unless you speak up but remember to do it calmly. You might just be surprised at the reaction!

Other topics I've noticed are:

Sex: during mania or hypomania (where you feel on top of the world and invincible) people with bipolar get aroused easily. Sex and even cheating happens and ends up being an excuse or cover up for a lot of things including feelings.

Panicking/Behavior in public: I can't begin to describe what a panic attack feels like. Ever seen the maze game or had someone jump out at you and scare you? It's like that over and over. During some episodes, if you sneak up on someone they might act strange, afraid it might happen again. They might on even realize what they're doing.

I'm in treatment. I didn't choose it but I needed it. Someone with bipolar can choose help, or you can offer it, support and encourage the person.
The hardest ones to love are the ones who need it most. Remember that.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper underandover
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Hi LiftmeUp. Not only is it okay that you posted, it was helpful. I applaud your sense of self and courage. I'm sorry that you suffer from bipolar but think you are trying hard to overcome the negative side effects. As a non bipolar person I have some advice for you. I hope you won't mind either. I am nearing the end of a 5 year relationship with a bipolar male. I loved him with all my heart and on his "good" days he knew it. Other times he was cold, treated me terribly, and withdrew from the relationship completely for weeks at a time. It devestated me each time but I hung in there in hopes it would get better. Toward the end (now) I don't even have a clue why I stayed so long getting absolutley nothing from the relationship. Anyway, long and short of it is, if you are in a good relationship and your disorder creeps up on you, TELL YOUR PARTNER. Don't be afraid to let them in. You loved one will be there for you forever, if you are willing to make it their battle too. If only my bf would have had faith in me and trusted our relationship I wouldn't be walking away. We aren't young folks. We are empty nesters. I have to leave because I can't take the neglect and rejection any longer. Don't do this. You cn have a good life. I have a cousin that is bipolar and she deals with it. Everyday is not perfect but she doesn't hide it from us. I think that is probably what sets her apart and why she is doing so well.
Good luck to you. I wish you a bright future. Never be afraid to speak up. We need your input more than you realize. Thanks for sharing!!!
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2011
Experienced User
I'm sorry about your boyfriend Sad Here, I was speaking in general or trying to. I do speak up as much as I can because I know what effect BP has on everyone. Not just the person diagnosed with it.

God bless you for helping out your cousin. Stigma is something I deal with almost every day. My family doesn't like to hear about it or won't believe it can get that bad. I'll keep talking :p thanks for your reply! God bless x
|

replied April 6th, 2012
i am bipolar II, i am derpessive not manic so i dont go through all of that. my trouble is being motivated and getting out of bed. i am seeing a therapist, on medication (celexa and seroquel) which is working deal with my mood. i also go to a support group for people with depression and bipolar called the DBSA. you should research it, i meet a lot of supportive people there.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Problems with my BP husband destroying our lives
Hi underandover
Sorry to bother you such a while after your post, but am just desperate to get in touch with someone to share my feelings with and I totally understand if you want to ignore my message as it sounds like you have had the sense to move on and I hope your new life is everything you dreamed it could be.
My situation is one I find myself in after nearly 7 years of marriage and mum to a beautiful 6 year old girl who is also suffering. I love my husband so much and am scared to leave him as I cannot let him go, as much as he is pushing me away and treating us very badly. What I struggle with the most are the disappearances (over 2 weeks for the 4th time so far this year) and his ability to carry on with his job as a prison officer and maintain friendly FB relationships with all his colleagues and go out with them, yet he runds and hides from his family (us) and cuts all communication, not seeming to care if we are dead or alive. I hope you are able to get in touch...take care xx
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2012
keep up, you need not give up at any time in life. we act more in spite our circumstances, not because of our circumstances. i can't tell if am bipolar or not. i have never had the means to take a test. But i must just say, all you need is to be strong and build more hope. Try to think positively all the time. you are exactly what you think you are. think more of being positive and do so positively. I really feel it deep in my heart when i get online and see people crying. but all i can say it "stay strong and think positively"
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2012
I wish my now ex could of read this..as he ran away and abandoned me because of my episodes..making it about him. Saying I was attacking him.. Ive never felt so beat down and worn down in my life.. Im bipolar one.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....