Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

What are the symptoms of lacerated colon?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
My husband has been experiencing severe abdominal pain after a night of fun. He is lethargic, cannot really have a bowel movement, in severe pain, can't eat. (this is embarassing) he MAY have lacerations to the colon or rectum. How would we know if he is experiencing internal bleeding or laceration to the intestines without HAVING to go through the embarassment of explaining what happened?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of the history is inadequate to make a proper diagnosis.

Lacerated colon, usually occurs only with penetrative injuries, like road traffic accidents or knife stab injuries. Other conditions include use of penetrating sex toys.

The main issues in such conditions would be internal bleeding which may result in hypotension, loss of consciousness, severe crampy abdominal pain or tenderness, fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension, bleeding from the rectum, etc.

Such conditions are a medical emergency and people lose lot of blood and many times it can be very fatal.

Hence in case, your husband, has been involved in such activities, and is in severe pain, you should not wait to make a diagnosis of the condition yourself. You should take him to the nearest emergency room, so that timely help and treatment can be initiated. This will prevent any form of complications that can occur due to delay in treatment.

The last thing, you should worry is about saving a life and not embarrassment of answering questions.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.