Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Weird Recurring Anxiety Symptoms?

User Profile
First of all, I don't want people here to judge me, I just want help.

I have only smoked marijuana a few times in my life, and the last time was 3 weeks ago. Immediately after, I had what I thought was a panic attack. I've read that marijuana can cause 'bad highs' at random, which can give you panic symptoms or make anxiety or psychosis worse in someone who already has it. I have not smoked since then, 3 weeks ago, but I have continued to have those symptoms I experienced. I have had these little episodes at least 4 times. They last hours (the first time lasted around 10 hours).

I have never felt anything like this before and have never had much of an issue with anxiety or anything. I'm wondering if it really is a new anxiety issue or what. Doing research, I also found my symptoms could match Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and magnesium deficiency. I'm not worried about anything (other than having attacks), I'm not stressed, and I have not experienced anything traumatic other than the first attack. The internet says panic attacks last for several minutes, but my symptoms last hours. I also do not hyperventilate.

My symptoms during episodes:

-Pounding heart and focusing too much on my heart
-Fast pulse
-Muscle twitches
-Muscle weakness
-Muscle tremors/convulsions (not seizures, but I was shaking all over the first time it happened)
-Chest pain
-Hot sensation in chest
-Feeling of fluttering or heart arrhythmias?
-Uneasiness, general discomfort
-Loss of appetite
-Hypotension upon standing, with the feeling extending to other parts of my body or feeling stronger than usual
-Strong pressure in head (does NOT feel like a headache)
-Fear

Background information about me:
Height: 5' 3"
Weight: Around 20-30 pounds overweight for my frame
Lifestyle: sedentary, vegetarian/pescetarian,I do not eat very healthy currently, and I mostly only drink water but I still don't get enough
Drinking: No, have only drank twice
Smoking: Only socially (not often at all)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile heiwa1994
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Oh, another symptom I get is chills.

When I'm not having one of those episodes, I either feel normal or anxious with a little discomfort in my chest, but none of the other symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
heiwa1994,

Actually, it is panic attacks that tend to only last a few minutes (they tend to peak at around 10 minutes or so).

Anxiety attacks can actually last a lot longer, but the symptoms tend to be less intense, than with a panic attack. Also, anxiety attacks can be self-sustaining.

Then, there is the underlying anxiety disorder, which can produce symptoms for minutes, hours, days, months, and even years. And, one does not have to be depressed or stressed, to have an anxiety disorder.

If your symptoms continue, you might need to speak to someone about them.

Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: heiwa1994 

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Thanks. I wasn't sure panic attacks and anxiety attacks were different. Even though mine aren't as severe, they are definitely not pleasant, so I do not want them to continue and will try to see a doctor if they do.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...