Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Weird Phenomenon I don't know where to post

Last night, I had a weird experience while trying to fall asleep. I went to bed at around 11pm-12am, and stayed up until 3am just trying to fall asleep. (My circadian rhythm was off from an irregular sleep schedule). When I finally calmed down and closed my eyes, I got startled by a small noise. When I heard this noise, I didn't jump - but I had a strange reaction. My eyes flashed an image for less than a second. Maybe a millisecond?

The thing is, this has happened to me before. Multiple times. This time was different, though, because the image I saw was recent and unique. When this happened before, it was usually in black and white and didn't really form an image I recognized. I figured it was my eyes flashing into the back of my skull and flashing the image of my brain. (Stupid, I know.) But last night was an image I knew I had seen recently. It was purple, and instantly reminded me of a video I had watched a couple hours prior. With this knowledge, I can probably assume that the other black and white images were images of black and white text on a screen from using my phone before bed. (Maybe thats why?)

This only happens when I'm calm and trying to fall asleep with my eyes closed. Many things can trigger it - any small, startling noise, such as my mother coughing or my house creaking. I don't even know when this began, maybe a few months ago? A year?

I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else, or if this is connected to some type of condition. I also find it important to note that, around the same time of night, whenever I opened my eyes I saw small shadows (Maybe 3?) moving in weird shapes on my wall and floor. They usually went away after staring at them for a little bit, though.

I've looked up this image flashing thing and all I got was people talking about how they saw multiple images of random people flashing across their eyes. This didn't happen to me. It was a memory. A recent memory of an image I had seen. And it wasn't like it was an important memory, either. It wasn't something I saw all the time, just something I had seen recently.

If anyone has experienced this or recognizes this, please. This has been bothering me all day.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....