Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Weird Period with clot

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello, I am a 26 y/o female with 2 children, 3 and 18 months. I have had abnormal periods most of my life, but they have ocurred monthly. I have been under a lot of stress lately so I am sure that has something to do with it. I am married, but I still use protection to prevent pregnancy. I just passed a rather large clot, about 2.5-3 inches long when I went to the bathroom. I haven't had any other signs of pregnancy, or miscarriage. I donated blood 2.5 weeks ago, so i figured that my period would be lighter. Normally the first 2 days are so heavy that I have to wear a super tampon (and change it every hour) along with a panty liner. This month I have only had to wear one tampon, and then it seemed like it quit, but today, just in case i wore a liner, and though it is not full, it has a darker reddish-brown blood, and when i went to the bathroom i passed that large clot, the largest i have passed since childbirth. Anyone have any suggestions, opinions, or help???

P.S. I also (on top of all the stress) had the 24 hour stomach flu the same day i started my period. I started before i actually got sick.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2011
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The occasional passing of clots or endometrial tissues during menstrual periods is considered to be normal. The stress of infection, blood donation could have affected the flow. Wait for your next periods and observe your menstrual cycles for next 2-3 cycles and visit your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation and assistance if you find them abnormal or if you develop any other associated symptoms. Treatment as appropriate (based on the examination findings and investigation results) would be started to help you regulate your periods.
If pregnancy is suspected, look out for development of any new symptoms suggestive of pregnancy and consider visiting your gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.