Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Weird menstrual cycle, painful, stomach issues

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

My period has been acting strange this month and has brought stomach issues along with it.

1. The Period.

It started on time, but was really light the first two days, stopped for two days, really light again, then today only comes when I go to the bathroom. It's a reddish-orange. Normally it is red, heavy the first three days then steady until it stops.

I am sexually active and have not been using protection.

Side note: When I became sexually active once I got married, my periods have become a painful experience. Before they were easy to deal with.

2. The Stomach Issues.

The same day as my period started, I started having loose bowels. That lasted four days, stopped one day, and is back today. For a couple days eating would cause really bad cramping and headaches, then knock me out for a few hours. But not eating didn't help either. I've only been able to eat little bits at a time before I start to feel sick to my stomach.

Since the stomach issues and period started the same day, I assume they are related.

I've asked my mom for help, but she just tells me to see a doctor. I really don't want to unless I have no other option.

So yeah, any ideas on what could be going on?

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2014
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

If you are having unprotected intercourse then you should first get pregnancy ruled out because stomach upset like diarrhea and light spotting and bleeding can occur in early pregnancy.

Other than that it can be an irregular period and gastroenteritis but these are unlikely to be related.

High level of stress, cholesterol, hormonal imbalance, chain smoking, dramatic changes in your life style may be some of the common causes of your irregular periods.

Check your pregnancy status by getting a urine test for pregnancy or your serum HCG levels checked.

If it comes negative then irregular periods and gastroenteritis should be thought of.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.