Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Weight loss diet advice (Page 1)

Liposuction doesn't work for weight 'loss'. I mean, obviously you'll lose some weight, but it isn't for all around weight loss. It is also incredibly painful. A good friend of mine had it done, you could say she hardly needed it - truly, she didn't have any 'fat' on her.She had her lower back and waist/tummy done. Total 'inches' lost around her waist? 3/4 of an inch. Time spent in a girdle after the procedure? 6 weeks! Was it worth it? She'd say NO WAY. For the first 3-4 days her mother had to help her get on and off the toilet! She had to take a week off of work and had to stay at her mom's house to be taken care of. It was a lot harder than she'd thought it would be - especially for 3/4 of an inch!

Portion size. Read labels. Eat non-processed foods, the fresher the better. The less ingredients the better. If you can't pronounce what is in the ingredient list and don't have a clue what it could be, don't eat it! Small dietary changes make a big difference.

The Macdougal diet sounds like Clean Eating.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I practice Clean Eating, in doing so, I avoid processed foods. Processed foods meaning how much it took to change it from its natural state. If I can't pronounce the ingredients or I don't know what the ingredient listed actually is, I don't eat it and I wouldn't consider feeding it to my family.

I can assure you that starving is the least of my worries. I eat mostly fresh & organic foods and cook everything from scratch. We don't eat boxed foods, frozen or bagged foods. This doesn't work for everyone (my husband even likes to go on food binges himself) and it is often easier to say, "OK, lets get a pizza for dinner!" However, if you do any amount of nutritional research, you'll find that the Americanized diet is full of high fat, high calorie, high sodium processed foods. Add this to our increasingly sedentary lifestyle and it becomes pretty obvious what needs to be done.

But I'm all for doing whatever works for each individual - because one way isn't the only way, it is just one way. I like the Clean Eating diet because I know it is nutritionally beneficial for my family.

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/Default.aspx?p age=2

Edited to add link.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That's the only diet that makes any sense. Eat like we are designed...

Do you consume dairy products on the Clean Eating et al diets?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I do but I am not dairy sensitive. I do organic free range eggs and organic fat free milk. If anyone in my family had dairy problems, I'd surely find a way to cut it out.

My husband is difficult to swing over to the side of brown rice, wheat noodles, less sugar, etc. We've been eating this way for about a year. It has to be a gradual process or Mr. White Bread would surely have a small freak out. Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Organic milk is really pricey here. I think it's the same as gas! Ha ha.

You may want to check into dairy. I'm certain cows milk is not meant for humans.

Also, I read somewhere about the increase in heart disease/cholesterol levels occurring at the same time dairy consumption increased. It could be related.

But man, I love me some ice cream. Talk about expensive...organic ice cream from milk of cows that are grass fed, no hormones... yee.

Probably shouldn't have mentioned the ice cream part on the "weight loss" thread! Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well there is healthy ice cream
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Healthy ice cream? Sign me up!

Where do you get healthy ice cream?

Oh, I know dairy isn't good for you. And not to be one of those wives/mothers - but I do believe if it were not for my family I would go vegan. I'm really interested in a raw diet. It isn't easy to achieve with a meat eating family that bucks fresh, whole grainl food.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
at any heathfood store--there is rice dream, and soy icecream and some that is dairy based---yeah i know dairy isnt to good for you either--but i cant seem to live with out my dairy lol--i only have it once in a while
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Interestingly, I just looked up rice dream and regular vanilla ice cream and other than fats, there isn't much difference. There is even less salt and more protein & calcuim & potassium in the ice cream.

Do you use calorie king or other sites to check your food intakes? I love calorie king and my food scale.
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do any of you eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 meals a day?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I tried that. But I do better (for me) to eat about 3-4 times a day instead of the 6 smaller ones.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Experienced User
I have diabetes, so I eat 3 bigger meals, and then tiny (TINY) snacks in between meals.

However...I snack badly BETWEEN those snacks. Sad
|

replied July 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sydney123456 wrote:
I have diabetes, so I eat 3 bigger meals, and then tiny (TINY) snacks in between meals.

However...I snack badly BETWEEN those snacks. Sad

|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I personally think cow's milk is better for you than soy- at least in my family with thyroid problems... soy causes more problems than good. As long as I eat what gets eaten on the farm, I figure it's not a problem.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Drink lots and lots of H2O. I read that most of the time we feel hungry we are actually dehydrated and water would take care of our hunger. Anyone else hear that?

If I feel the need (& it's summer so you know I do) I get Stonyfield Farm Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt, or Green & Blacks organic ice cream or Julie's. But they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/index.php ?flash=yes
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
ive been buying green tea---and drinking a lot of it
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
On another note, Amy's organic frozen dinners are pretty good and I eat those from time to time. They're a bit expensive and most (if not all) of them contain tofu, so I try to avoid eating them regularly. I really like the Thai stir fry one.
|

replied July 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I've had Amy's organic frozen dinners. They are alright when you are in the need for something quick.

Georgia, I'm with you on the soy thing. I'm not a huge fan either.
|

replied July 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Birch wrote:
Drink lots and lots of H2O. I read that most of the time we feel hungry we are actually dehydrated and water would take care of our hunger. Anyone else hear that?

If I feel the need (& it's summer so you know I do) I get Stonyfield Farm Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt, or Green & Blacks organic ice cream or Julie's. But they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/index.php ?flash=yes

The Green & Blacks' chocolate icecream is divine and so rich that you really don't need much of it to satisfy a craving. Mmmmmmm....
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I don't think they sell that around here, but it sounds delicious.
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....