Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

weight loss after SSRIs

Hi All,

I was on Lexapro for a year and gained 30lbs with no change in diet or exercise. I am pretty active; I coach and play soccer and am a vegetarian.

I stopped the Lexapro about 3 weeks ago, but I can't shake the weight even though I am at the gym doing 2 hours of cardio 6 days a week.

Before the Lexapro this used to get the weight off at a rate of about 2-3 lbs a week. Now the needle on the scale isn't moving at all.

I'm so frustrated, fat and miserable. Help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
That can be very frustrating! I just have a few questions. Are you monitoring your calories per day? Usually, exercise combined with diet helps you lose weight. It's actually possible that you're consuming too few calories (especially as a vegetarian) for you, which would make weight loss as difficult as if you were consuming too many calories.

The following website has a free calorie counter. You just plug in your info, and it lets you know your maintenance calorie level. Then, you need to aim for about 500 calories below that level for weight loss: http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories -need.asp

Hope this helps.
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
Hi,

Yeah, I eat plenty, about 1500-1800 cal a day. I'm a conscientious objector type vegetarian. It's not for health or diet really.

I'm 5'6" and a whopping 175 lbs. I'm pretty muscular (underneath the fat) because I play soccer and take a lot of spin classes, kick boxing, step etc. My pre-SSRI weight never topped 140 lbs and that was when I was seriously built and training for a triathlon.

The weight isn't really the problem though; it's the fat that's driving me crazy.

I never had a belly until about 5 months after I started the Lexapro and now I've got this fat pooch that just won't go away. I never put weight on around my middle before either. I was afraid I was hitting an early menopause or something (I'm 35, no kids) so I had my hormone levels checked and I'm "normal." My hair texture has changed from straight to wavy and I've got all this flubber that won't go away.

I need some encouraging success stories to light this fat-induced gloom.
|

replied October 26th, 2008
Off the top of my head...
Meowmix001,

I just read ur reply, above and it rang similar to what I read in the most recent publication of the Health Mag. I read in short, that middle age perimenopause ladies may be prone to getting more mass/fat around their belly/midsections. The article claimed that a strict exercise program emphasizing the core muscles could possibly minimize the belly fat look.
I know ur wrote this back in July but I'm wonderng what uv'e done since then? I'm 44 perimenopause and I do hard-core yoga 5x a week along with rollar blading 30-60 min 5x per week, 5ft and 105lbs. I seem to have the belly when I sit down or wear size 1 pants. I've had 4 kids tho.
I hope all is well and am interested to find out what u know since we both seem to be watching the calories and exercising like crazy...good times.
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I would suggest you to have thyroid function tests and fasting blood sugar to rule out organic cause.
If organic cause was not found then start modified atkin diet.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.