Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

12 weeks that I have been exposed to HIV.

User Profile
its now 12 weeks that I have been exposed to HIV. i had vaginal sex protected with a condom with a girl i didnt know her status, deep kissing and little fingering. I fought that that exposed me to nothing. one week after that activity, i started having the following symptoms: upper burning back pain that was sometimes spreading to the arms, legs and abdomen and I could sense some burning skin pain. Because of that, I was anxious, couldnt eat, work and later they were ceasing and today coming sudden. I had extreme fear, I was becoming tired during the day but with Exercise I sorted this later out.

After 10 days, I had an antibody test that came back negative but Doctor said it was unreliable. Today I am having a flu and a sore on my tongue.

Please tell me if this is really it cause I am scared.

Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A35508
Welcome to e health forum.

HIV symptoms can be very confusing, and many other conditions can be mistaken for HIV. Hence HIV is not diagnosed based on signs or symptoms. It is diagnosed based on serology tests detecting HIV antigens and antibodies in the blood.

The chances of contracting HIV from a single sexual encounter from a female is about 0.04% (per act). This is actually very low to cause a confirmed infection, just by one act.

With regarding to HIV testing, there is no need for a large no of tests to be done. All you need to do is wait for 4 weeks and get a ELISA test for HIV antibodies. In case, this test is negative, then you need to repeat the test again at the end of 12 weeks. A negative test at 12 weeks will conclusively confirm your status as HIV negative.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.