Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

2 weeks of bleeding with cramps

User Profile
i have taken the b/c pill tri sprintec for over a year. last month my period if you want to call it that came and went in about 2 days. My husband and i had sex jan 1. that night or early the next morning i noticed bright red bleeding. I thought that maybe he had scatched me and thought nothing of it. Not more that 2 days later my so called period came. I was on the 3rd week of pills. I am still haveing like dingy brown discharge ( that is what it is normally like for my preriod) . this week marks 2 full weeks of this. I do have some lower abdominal cramps, headaches and cold. the weather here has been no right cold. I have noticed the temp in one ear has been in the 99 range. if is means a pregancy, i work as a nurse and so i am around alot of heavy lifting and combative people on a daily basis. I have not noticed any change really in more urination but i ahve noticed alot more gas and burping lately. is this normal, could it me a miscarriage. please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A9104
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the intermenstrual bleeding that you had. It could be due to several causes. First, it can be due to a miscarriage because you had unprotected intercourse prior to that and that too can occur in contraceptive failure. However, to differentiate this menstrual bleeding from a miscarriage, I would suggest that you do a urine for pregnancy test or get your serum HCG levels estimated. The HCG (it is a hormone) levels rise only in pregnancy and its levels are raised even for a few days after a miscarriage.

Other causes which need to be looked into are stress and anxiety, fluctuation in hormone levels, hypothyroidism & fibroids in the uterus. It could also be due to a genital infection or cervical polyps. For that you need to consult a gynecologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.