User Profile
I am a 23 year old who suffers from heart palpitations maybe once a week or every two weeks. Occasionally I will feel a twitch in my jugular. Just last week, I experienced a heart sensation that felt like several out of sync beats in a row (maybe 3 or 4) followed by rapid heartbeats until it mellowed out. The whole situation lasted about ten seconds but I thought it was a heart attack and everyday I am worried it will happen again? I had a stress test, an ultrasound of my heart, and wore a holter monitor for ten days about a year ago. No results. This sensation did not happen at all while wearing the holter monitor and the doctor kind of blew me off. Could this sensation be harmless? Can I wait until my doctors appointment on the 12th or is it a more urgent matter? Please help me put my mind at ease. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2017
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A62706
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

The urgency depends on how long back you had the holter and stress test. If these tests were done long back, then please consult a doctor immediately. Also, there are many other conditions which can cause palpitations. Flush like feeling can also be due to gastric reflux.

Palpitations may be associated with heart problems, anemia, low blood sugar and low blood pressure. Chemicals like adrenaline, alcohol, caffeine, cocaine, amphetamines, and other drugs all cause palpitations. Disease (such as hyperthyroidism and pheochromocytoma) or mitral stenosis, panic disorder all cause this. If you have cough and are taking medicines that contain asthalin or terbutaline then the palpitations can be a side effect of the drugs. If nothing is found, then it can even be an anxiety and panic attack.

So, apart from heart related tests, you will need other tests as well. Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance.

This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.