Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

weed addiction of her's is messing up the relationship

i have a girlfriend she is jus 19 years old she has been smoking weed from a long time she says that she has been smokin weed from the time she was 16yrs she has undergone a very bad childhood her parents are divorced and now she is stayin with her mother its been 6 months that i've know her and this weed addiction of her's is messing up the relationship that we have because she has a mental break down once in a while craving for the weed. I dont know wat to do if i should give her the weed and tell her to smoke or just not and make her go cold turkey im completely clueless as to what to do. I don know how to handle this situation but im afraid that she might never stop.
the Main question here is that is she will to stop. Im very disturbed and was hoping that i would get some help here...????
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tmo14
|

replied December 18th, 2011
I have a question, do you smoke it? have you tried speaking to her about it, you could get her to see someone (and go with her for support). she needs to be slowly weaned off the weed for the addiction, if she is strong enough you could get her to just stop but this requires her to have a good strong willpower. she will struggle however if she continues taking it she will become more paranoid and not trust you as much, experience mood swings. it does have the potential to ruin your relationship but you must be strong for her and remember that many bad effects are from the weed and not her.
|

replied December 19th, 2011
yes i also smoke it but im not addicted to it i can stop cause i just started recently... I've been through this before and i noe how i can stop but i don't think the same method would be helpful for her cause she is completely addicted to it... we keep having alot of misunderstanding and always keep fighting she is happy only when her mind is numb... cause she has been doing this for years together...I jus want to know as to what i should do
|

you cant help her if your taking it yourself, quit first then help her otherwise she will see you as being hypercritical.
|

Alright but she says that she is gonna stop she just wants time she says that if she has the weed with her she can build up her will power and stop it... And she has reduced it alot now a days she just smokes one or at the max two joints a day but before she used to smoke joints like cigarette but she has reduced it now...should i just give her time and make her stop...
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....