Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Wee Willy Winkie fear

User Profile
I know this is actually funny, but it is turning into a problem now.
I made the mistake of telling my 3 and a half year old little girl about Wee Willy Winkie. You know, the little dwarf that comes at night to throw magic sand in her eyes to give her sweet dreams?
She was NOT impressed.
She now goes to bed with her yellow plastic baseball bat - up in arms, boy! No silly dwarf is going to throw sand in her eyes!
I’ve tried putting Tigger in bed with her for protection, and spraying ‘anti-dwarf spray’ (normal air freshener) but to no avail. She stays awake for at least two hours after her normal sleeping time, straight up in bed, waiting for Wee Willy Winkie so she can ‘pock’ him on the head.
Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Omg! That's too cute! I'm sorry. It sounds like you're doing all you can. She should eventually forget about it though. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2008
Supporter
Yes, it was cute the first two or three nights. But I had a sense of humor failure after about a week of this. If I catch the little %@# now I’ll pull out his toe nails myself!
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes that is a very cute story! I have a three year old and she is adamant about things too and I can imagine her doing something just like that!

It is important for her to be getting to sleep though. Do you have a picture book about Wee Willy Winkie? How about grabbing one of those and a book of some other fairy tale, like Cinderella or other story that couldn't possibly be true, and showing her that it really is a fairy tale and not real?

Or if you don't want to disillusion her about things like that, you could say that he has to take a long visit to the beach to get more sand. He won't be coming back for almost forever because a sneaky child put a hole in his bag and it keeps all falling out. All that hard work is just making him so tired that he falls alseep himself!

Or maybe he went to the beach, got his own sand in his eyes, and now every time he wakes up, he gets more in his eyes because he's sleeping on the beach?

I don't know if you go to the beach or anything, so you might want to avoid that if it will make her afraid of the beach too.

Another thing you can try is buying her a stuffed guard dog or soldier that you can stand up outside her door. This is bought for the sole case of keeping WWW away. She could even pick it out.

I might have a few other ideas up my sleeve, but try those Wink
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Oh, I just thought of something....

The rhyme goes:

Wee Willy Winky runs through the town,
Upstairs and Downstairs in his nightgown.
Tapping at the window, crying through the lock...
"Are the children in their beds?
Now it's 8 o'clock!"

Read her the rhyme..
So actually if your bedtime is 8, put her to bed a few minutes after 8, then of course, he already came by and she'll miss him every night because he can only come by at 8.

lol
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: Jazzy77 

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2008
Supporter
Your reply had me in stitches, Mominashoe. Guess who is leaving for a two week vacation? Tomorrow. Yip, you guess it - we’re going to the coast.
As far as fairy tales are concerned - she has a lively imagination. You should see her eating an apple. She’ll take a bite and faint. (Snow White) Then I have to pretend to be a prince on a horse, kiss her, marry her, do a bit of dancing and then she feels better. Come the next bite…

So you’re right: I don’t want to spoil her fantasies by telling her it’s not real. Every night after we brushed our teeth and said our prayers we have a huge fight about who is going to dream about what. I normally end up with the white dragon and a troll, and she gets to dream about the Pegasus, unicorns, (she’s the inspiration behind my avatar) mermaids, fairies, Santa Clause, angles, the Easter bunny, etc.

I’ll try and translate the rhyme, and since she can’t tell the time yet it shouldn’t be a problem. And I’ll change the beach story to him going to fetch sand in Sleepy Land.

Thank you, Sweetheart. You’ve been a great help. I’ll let you know how this went as soon as we are back from vacation.
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Awww, your daughters sounds so precious and lovable! I'm glad I was able to come up with something you liked, and I hope it works Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Supporter
Please pm me your personal details, Mominashoe. You're going into my will.
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2008
Community Volunteer
lol.....seriously... .lol

You sound successful and happy? Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2008
Experienced User
mominashoe...your idea was awesome. i often wonder how people like yourself get to have that motherly instinct. i sure hope it comes my way when the time is right.

i'd say you have kicked though mominashoe.
jasmine
|
Users who thank Jazzy77 for this post: mominashoe 

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I think it kicked in by the time I had my 6th child lol. Thanks Smile

Never doubt your instincts and you will find them when your times comes.
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....