Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

we can see the mass but nothing shows up?

User Profile
Hello, I am a 38 year old female with a mass on my left upper thigh. It developed over two years ago and was sent to a general surgeon. He said it was an unencapsulated lipoma and wanted me to wait for it to capsulate. After 6 months, the pain was getting worse and the mass was moving down my leg towards my inner knee and to my calf. I returned to my family doctor who sent me to a orthopedic Dr. Since then I have had an x-ray, CT scan as well as an MRI on the area and nothing has shown up. The doctors are very puzzled at how we can see the mass but nothing shows up. I was then sent to Physical Therapy. There they have tried deep muscle massage. I could not feel the heat at all as the area just felt numb. The exercises did not help but I learned I cannot raise my leg up in a stepping motion. It has been 2 years now and the pain is getting unbearable when I sit or have my leg out straight. I have developed plantar facitis in my R foot from adjusting the way I walk. Please Help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2011
Muscular and Nerve Disorders Answer A28116
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the mass in the left upper thigh for the last 2 years which now seems to be moving down towards the knee and calf.
It is not possible to say anything about the nature of mass without examination but as you have narrated there are some possibilities which can be explored by your physician such as-- Some of the benign (noncancerous) causes include lipoma (a benign tumor that is made up of fat cells), desmoid tumors (usually present as a painless or minimally painful mass with a history of slow growth), or desmoplastic fibroma of bone (a benign tumor of bone has a histological appearance similar to that of desmoid tumor) among others.You must follow up with your surgeon for definitive diagnosis and management as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.