User Profile
Hi, I've had a low wbc for about 1 1/2 years. Started at 2.5 and six months ago was 3.2. I feel fine, however have recently developed an achiness upon twisting my body on my left side. Could the two be related.

Is 3.2 cause for a lot of concern? My doc doesn't think so but I'm concerned. He did more indepth bloodwork and everything was normal. Could it be the start of some type of cancer brewing?

Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2010
Leukemia Answer A13910
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by low wbc count for the last 1 1/2 years and the value is about 3.2.
Low white cell counts are associated with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, leukemia (as malignant cells overwhelm the bone marrow), myelofibrosis and aplastic anemia (failure of white and red cell creation, along with poor platelet production). In addition, many common medications can cause leukopenia. HIV and AIDS are also a threat to white cells.
Other causes of low white blood cell count include: Influenza, systemic lupus erythematosus, Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, Rickettsial infections, enlargement of the spleen, folate deficiencies, psittacosis and sepsis. Many other causes exist, such as a deficiency in certain minerals such as copper and zinc.
Pseudoleukopenia can develop upon the onset of infection. The leukocytes (predominately neutrophils, responding to injury first) are marginalized in the blood vessels so that they can scan for the site of infection. This means that even though there is increased WBC production, it will appear as though it is low from a blood sample, since the blood sample is of core blood and does not include the marginalized leukocytes.
You need a thorough evaluation by your physician to ascertain the cause as the same cannot be done online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.