Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

water with honey?

User Profile
hi all! i have a 5 month old bb boy who doesnt want to drink plain water, instead, we mixed it with a little honey everytime he will drink. Is it safe or advisable to do such? please help..thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper StacyHoll
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
NO! Honey is not supposed to be given to children. It can cause Infant Botulism (which isn't nice).

If you want to mix it with something sweet, try juice. Unless he is eating cereal, he shouldn't be drinking anything other than formula/milk.
|

replied July 14th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
honey is dangerous for babies..................
|

Experienced User
There is infant juice you can mix with water @ that age I would probbaly go 1/4 juice 3/4 water.

"Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Most babies with infant botulism, however, do recover. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

Persistent constipation
Floppy arms, legs and neck
Weak cry due to muscle weakness
Weak sucking and poor feeding
Tired all the time (lethargy)
Difficulty breathing

Botulism spores may also be found in low-acid home-canned foods and corn syrup. For this reason, you should avoid feeding these foods to infants before 12 months of age"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-bo tulism/HQ00854
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Re: is it safe giving a 5month old baby mixed water with honey?
wilbebe wrote:
hi all! i have a 5 month old bb boy who doesnt want to drink plain water, instead, we mixed it with a little honey everytime he will drink. Is it safe or advisable to do such? please help..thanks!

Never give honey to infants under one year. The above posts say enough on that, but, also, why are you giving him water?

Babies should never drink water. It has no nutritional value, it fills up their tummies and takes away room from food that could be going in there, and as far as I can remember accurately it can actually flush out the salt in their kidneys causing damage to their brains.

Formula mixed with the right amount of water is the only time you should ever give water to your baby. Juice is unnecessary at this age as well unless you want to mix some in their baby cereal. Keep him on breast milk and/or formula and the solid foods if any that you are feeding him.

Since you seem to not know as much about your baby's nutrition and what to give him, I highly recommend you talk to a pediatrician ASAP.
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2008
water with honey
thanks for the reply..i really appreciate it..actually i gave my baby water with honey for about 1month & 2weeks i think and when i research about how dangerous it is, it really scares me! thats why im giving it to him because he poo every 2 days and im worried about his bowel movement cause sometimes he constipated.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
If you are worried about constipation, then you can always give him a little prune juice or even the blended prunes jar of baby food found in the baby isle of your grocery store.

If he is constipated because you are giving him formula with iron, talk to your pedicatrican about switching to a lower iron formula.
|

User Profile
water with honey
hi mominashoe! i really thank you for your reply..im also giving him prune juice already..thanks for your advice..im bernadette, 28yrs old and a 1st time mom..is that your baby in the pix? really cute with a beautiful mom...god bless!
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I'me Vanessa and welcome to Ehealth. You will find so much help here, some back often if you need anything at all.

Thank you, yes it is my youngest little girl. I have 5 girls, and one boy. My oldest daughter is 8. Congrats on your first baby! Smile
|

replied August 25th, 2008
Experienced User
With the pooping every two days.. That happened to my friends son and she was giving him prune juice and it turned out that the prune juice is what was keeping him alive because her milk had dried up. If you need help. Make sure you speak with your dr.
|
Users who thank StacyHoll for this post: mominashoe 

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2008
prune juice
does prune juice can cause "uti" for a 5month old baby?
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2008
Community Volunteer
No. Prune juice is perfectly safe to give to your baby. UTI's are normally caused by bacteria from bowels movements which has come in contact with the baby's urethra, and the infection can spread upwards into the urinary tract and bladder. Other reasons might include a physical abnormality, genetics, poor hygiene, and irritation from different soaps or bubble baths.

You can read more about the symptoms and treatments here: http://www.surebaby.com/urinarytractinfect ion.php

If you think your baby has an infection, you need to contact your pedicatrician right away!
|

replied January 7th, 2012
hi.. i read about how bad it cause by giving honey to an under 12 months old baby.. and it worries me much.. cause we've been giving our baby wster mix with honey for already a couple of months untill now. i feel so scared that there's already something wrong with him. even thought i never notice any of the signs or symptoms that was written sbove..he is 10 months old baby boy.. can you give me some advice or ideas so we can make sure that he is still in good condition? there is no fresh prunes in our country.. are bottled prune juice is safe for him?
|

hi.. i read about how bad it cause by giving honey to an under 12 months old baby.. and it worries me much.. cause we've been giving our baby wster mix with honey for already a couple of months untill now. i feel so scared that there's already something wrong with him. even thought i never notice any of the signs or symptoms that was written sbove..he is 10 months old baby boy.. can you give me some advice or ideas so we can make sure that he is still in good condition? there is no fresh prunes in our country.. are bottled prune juice is safe for him?
|

hi.. i just wanted to ask domething about thst honey mixing thing.. it really worries me a lot coz we've been giving water mixed honey to our baby for almost a couple a months ago. even thought we can't see any symptoms like in written up there. it still makes me feel n comfortable to kniw that it is posivle that somethings wrong with our baby.. is there anything we can do to make sure that he is in good condition theres no fresh prune fruits in our country. is bottled prune juice is safe for him? hes a 10 month old baby.. thank you so much for the info.
|

replied July 31st, 2013
Can I give prune juice to a 3 month old with constipation? Its really really sore for her when she poops. She pushes hard then starts screaming. I've been using lacson for her but it hasn't helped much.
|

replied April 22nd, 2018
Re: water with honey?
wilbebe wrote:
Hi, your baby drink water with honey, this is very good for his health, because honey can increase brain power of you baby and it can also improve the immune system of your baby. So you can feel relax with it but try to give raw honey for your baby.
|

replied April 28th, 2018
honey can cause allergies, you need to be careful
|
Tags: advisable
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....