Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Was this breakup due to my exes Bipolar1?

breakup was because of bipolar
yes
no
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
Shamefully I must say the relationship with my Bipolar 1 ex still haunts me, we have been broken up for months. Yet the questions still ring in my mind as to why he had such little empathy and so much hate/resentment towards me. When I did nothing bad to him. A little back story...

My ex was my best friend. We lived together, did everything together. He is Bipolar 1, took his meds as far as I know. But he would switch from loving me to hating me. It was very confusing because when he was normal he was the best, sweet, funny, empathetic, sensitive but he could switch to resentful, cold, cruel, paranoid. One day he told me he heard voices and they said to hurt me (I seriously thought he was joking) So living together was hard. Right before the breakup he had basically began ignoring me purposely and acting very weird. when he came home from work he would just play video games all night and I would fall asleep alone. Soon after I came home from work one day found him standing in the kitchen acting weird then to tell me he no longer loved me and to pack my stuff and get out, he then goes into the bedroom to watch tv, I follow to try and talk about the situation he ignores me still watching tv , So i turn the tv off and tell him I deserve more respect than this. His response
"I don't love you, you're a piece of sh*t and narcissistic. Get the f*ck out of my house and my life." It was very cold and hateful, like he was a different person. The next day I move all of my stuff out. We have not spoken, I don't expect we will. My question is was the related to his Bipolar 1? why did he have such a lack of empathy and hate towards me? It hurts like hell I admit, but I know I will move on from this one day
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Connection and partnership with a bipolar is very difficult relationship and needs a lot of sacrifice and patience. The emotional problems you mentioned are attributed to this bipolarity and not a fault of the person on its own. However, it needs to be controlled both by willpower as well as medications on partner behalf and therapy sessions for both the partners to make the relationship work. If you have broken up it's not your fault as well and you had the right to live or not live together.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.