Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

was a heavy marijuana user... (Page 1)

User Profile
Hi, I was a heavy marijuana user for 5 years just recentely i smoked and had a terrible panic attack it so bad that it caused me to quit smoking.. since i have quit i have been having severe anxiety and this sense that there is something seriously wrong with me i believe it has something to do with the withdrawal symptoms i also would smoke blunts which have tobacco wraps so i believe i also built a addiction to this as well.. I went to the doctor and told him my symptoms they proceeded to take in EKG of my heart which he said was fine besides my elevated heart rate they also did blood tests and urine test i got a call back and they said everything is fine but for some reason i cant shake the feeling that something is terribly wrong with me i have been obssessing over my symptoms and looking up every disorder known to man to see if it matches my symptoms... someone please help me and give me an idea of what this could be

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A22100
Hello.

First of all, the panic attack may not have been associated with the smoking. But when it does happen, it is normal to believe it could be due to the Marijuana. And if the panic attack was actually a panic attack as per the criteria, it can occur any time.

Marijuana (Cannabis) is not known to produce physical withdrawal symptoms and there is no physical dependence. But there can be a psychological dependence. And the anxiety can be explained. However, the anxiety cannot be an isolated occurrence without accompanying thoughts. You seem to have developed an unhealthy anxiety about your health. This is evident from the fact that you are looking to find out what can be wrong with a hint of obsession.

You may need to take efforts to reduce symptoms of your anxiety. You can take anxiolytic medication with your doctor's prescription. Often that is enough to tide over the withdrawal phase. Counseling is also known to help during the few weeks after cessation of Cannabis use. It is also important to "feel OK" that you have the anxiety. Do not let the secondary anxiety (anxiety about having anxiety) affect your ability to focus on reducing the primary anxiety.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.