Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

wanting pregnancy after castration...

User Profile
Hey Soo, I have a transgender boyfriend...who had castration done 4 years ago...
Thing is we want to have a baby, and I am wonder if it is still possible in some way? since sperm is also made elsewhere from what I understand. If it is possible, what is the procedure to be done to achieve a pregnancy. Thanks for your help so much (::

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Castration is a surgical procedure by which a male loses the functions of the testicles (orchiectomy)or a female loses the functions of the ovaries (oophorectomy).

Once a person, undergoes castration, there is no natural way he can father a child, unless he has stored /donated his semen in a sperm bank, before he underwent the procedure.

In case, you plan to conceive, you will have to consult with a OBGYN doctor and undergo intra uterine insemination (IUI) of sperms (either from frozen sperms of your partner or from a sperm donor).

I hope this helps.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.