Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

want to stop my menstrual periods

User Profile
hi...i want to stop my menstrual periods...because of heavy bleeding..about 30 ml a day for two days and then about 10 ml for next 3 days...i hv salads daily and even fruits sometimes...i hv stoped chicken...still it continues..do u think stoping it is a good option? Can i take some medicines for it? How safe is it?
Do i really need to menstruate? Is it good or bad for female body?
Pls reply soon
thanks..:)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A18849

Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Menstruation is a normal phenomenon in a female body that occurs during reproductive age. Preventing it or stopping it can result in other hormonal problems and later on you might face infertility issues. Periodic menstrual cycles are indicative of normal functioning of the reproductive system with periodic egg release from the ovary. You can choose to have shorter periods with use of birth control pills, or delay the periods to having it 3-4 times a year with use of birth control methods. Visit your gynecologist for more details and discussion along with evaluation to find out which option suits your needs and body.
If you are worried about the heavy periods, then you can request for having hormonal and blood work-up done along with ultrasound scan to see if there are any abnormalities that can be corrected to help you have normal periods.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.