Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

want to get off Keppra & Epilum

User Profile
Had first grand mal seizure when I was 5,am now 48. Started on Dilantan and remained on that most of childhood. Remained seizure free late teens and 20s. When I was 30, we wanted to have kids so I was taken off meds. I had twin girls who are now 18 and remained seizure free till about 10 years ago when my father passed away from pancreatic cancer within 3 months of diagnosis. I had a couple of grand mal seizures which I knew were triggered by lack of sleep and stress. Was on Tegretol which gave me horrific migraines,changed to Epilum put on 10kg. The last 3 yrs I have been on Keppra 500mg (3 times a day) and then 6 mths ago added Epilum (200gm) 1 tblt at night to help sleep as having halucinations but have since noticed I have daytime auras and hear voices which I have never had b4. I used to run marathons and be so positive but since been on Keppra have become so negative and down and have no energy at all. I know Keppra has these effects. I want to get off Keppra & Epilum. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2015
Epilepsy Answer A54227
Welcome to e health forum.

Since there are certain triggers that can induce seizures in your case, to avoid serious complications, accidental death, etc it would always be recommended that such patients be under anti-epileptic coverage for long durations, and in some specific cases for life long.

In addition, most medications (specially antiepileptics) that act on the nervous system will have various side effects, and based on your needs the medication can be decided. Newer medications have been developed which have better patient tolerance and lower side effects, but they can be expensive.

Consult with your treating neurologist and seek a proper opinion. If your doctor finds that your risk of having recurrent seizures is low, then he can decide to change or stop your medications.

But never take such decisions on your own, as it would be detrimental to your health.

I Hope this clears your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.