Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

Waking up from anesthesis and losing control of my muscles

Hello,

I'm posting this as I never found any explanation for what happened to me, nor doctors knew what to tell me. It's about anesthesis?

I'm currrently 26 and already have been submited to 2 big spinal surgerys. The surgerys went fine and I have now recovered already.

But... After I awoken from surgery, if there was more movement around me, or if I would start to feel a little bit more stressed, all of the sudden I would stop to be able to control my muscles. My whole body stiffen up. Toes up, face all stiffen. It was even hard to close my eyes, and the worst was my neck, that kept bending to one side against my will. It all caused me pain to be so stiff.

I tried with all my best to stop this. To regain back control. To relax. But I couldn't. I was fully aware of what was happening and people could have conversations with me. I was just able to relax with my boyfriend pating my head gently until I felt asleep. Or, after some big time, after the doctors gave me an muscle relaxation. It happened several times during the first 2 days after waking up from anesthesis.

No one could explain me what or why this was happening. And I have been bothered with it ever since. I can't find anything on the web. If someone can help me, I would really appreacite it as this was kinda a scary experience for me.

I don't know if this matters. But I have severe sea food alergy. Maybe this could be some kind of reaction? I dunno. It happened the 2 times after the anesthesis, the exact same way.

Thank you if you read all this.I appreciate it. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2015
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. These are common sequelae of spinal surgeries. Muscle relaxation and physio exercises work like charm. Wait and see. It shall resolve.

I hope it helps . Consult your doctor as our advice is just for education purposes only.

Regards
Khan

|

replied May 18th, 2015
Hello,

thank you for your reply and sorry for taking so long to answer. I was confused and kinda scared because no doctor there knew what to tell me about what happened to me. They said it didn't make sense :/ cause where they messed with was only the L4 and L5 vertebra.

And indeed it would only pass when I started relaxing after some time. But it only happened in the first 2 days after the surgery, was weird.

So if I ever get surgery again - not spinal surgery - this will not happen again? It was mostly likely only related to the spine?

Thank you!
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Recovery & Post-Op , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.