Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

voices or me thinking to myself?

User Profile
Hi all I going to speak out I hear voices but I dunno if its voices or me thinking to myself. Sometimes I will be working away and out no where i will start thinking about random stuff like a man screaming etc and for some reason like my mate will come round and he be with his missus and there something telling me kiss her what will he do. Im not attracted to her at all i have a partner and im happy the fact i have her she doesnt no any of this because im scared to tell anyone its all hard to explain its wierd i get really paranoid sometimes i just really dont know how to explain all of it i cant speak to anyone because i have been sectioned before for trying to jump in front of a train i self harmed when i was a teenager i have been through alot but im sure theres others out there been through worse. Im not asking for attention and all that rubbish i just wanna no if someone has same experiences or any help be good them statements are examples theres loads. Just though I would add I have a history of drug abuse which i have stopped using drugs and Im scared im going to start listening to this voice or my brain and i been fighting it since b4 xmas and i have history of visual hullastionations.

Thanks for taking time reading this.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
Schizophrenia Answer A25655
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the voices that you hear.

The symptoms of hearing voices are called auditory hallucinations. It is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without true auditory stimulus. The two most common causes are schizophrenia and mania. Schizophrenia is also called split personality and in this there are abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality.

Treatment consists of antipsychotic medicines, cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy. Mania is usually associated with bipolar disease and hallucinations are an important aspect. Treatment usually consists of the mood stabilizing drug-lithium, anticonvulsants, antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines.

Please consult a good psychiatrist and start with the treatment so that worsening of symptoms does not occur.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.