Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Vitamin D levels dropped

Does anyone know why this might happen? I was tested at 23 fifteen months ago, and went on 1000IU/day for 3 months. I then tested at 28, still below normal (32-100), so went on 2000 IU/day for a year. Now I've dropped to 27! I also am a heavy milk drinker and always have been--3 glasses a day. I take fish oil, Boniva and glucosamine/chondroitin. We have a family history of breast cancer and osteoporosis so I really want to get these levels up. I'm 57 years old.

Thanks.

Sue
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 24th, 2010
lack of vitamin d is actually pretty complicating as it is not easy to supplement vitamin D to your body without the help of your doctor. Do seek help from your doctor!
|

replied August 11th, 2010
The main source of vitamin D is our own body and dietary source is also important. Its first precursor is produced in the skin exposed to sunlight, the active metabolite is then produced as a result of transformations in the kidneys and liver to 1,25 calciferous or calciferous. Renal transformation is stimulated by parathyroid hormone and the last is produced as a result of hypoglycemia. Hyperglycemia could lead to less production and transformation to the active form of vitamin D.

|

replied August 11th, 2010
My doctor decided to put me on 50,000 IU once a week. After 3 weeks(3 doses) I was already up to 42 when tested. She's doing this for 6 weeks and then once monthly.
|