Over the past two years, I have been experiencing a delay in what I see. It's quite difficult to explain, however the best way I have found to explain it would be to compare it to when you watch a YouTube video and the screen is out of time with the sound. I effectively have the same problem: I hear things shortly before I see them. I've been to the hospital quite a few times for numerous tests; these tests acknowledge that there is an issue, however they also shed no light as to what is causing the problem, or what the problem actually is. The best conclusion that I have been told by the doctors is that for some reason, my vision takes a prolonged time to reach the brain. I am not too worried as major health threats such as a brain tumor have been ruled out, however the problem seems to be deteriorating. Each month, the delay in my vision seems to increase. I have also started to notice that my short term memory is progressively getting worse.

If anyone could shed any light as to what this could possibly be, it would be much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2012
I honestly I do not know exactly what could be causing your symptoms. Generally, the neural process of "vision" begins in the eye, then travels into the brain via the Optic Nerves, then near the pituitary region the Optic Nerves combine signals from each eye at the Optic Chiasm, then split again and flow through various networks along each side of the brain (parietal lobes), before joining again in the back part of the brain (occipital lobe) where the signal is processed and "vision" is perceived.

Anything that could disrupt how efficiently this signal travels in the nerves from the front of the brain to the back of the brain, or how efficiently the neurons in the occipital lobe process the nerve signals could potentially be a cause of the symptoms you describe.

You may want to consider including licensed eye care and audiology (hearing) care along with your neurology care because they may have newer and different ways of testing your physiological responses to vision and hearing stimulus.

Please understand this answer is presented purely for informational purposes and does not replace the professional examination and diagnosis by a licensed eye doctor. All possible diagnoses and treatment options are not covered, and the information discussed should not be taken as a recommendation to self-diagnose. In the case of any eye problem, it is best to make an appointment with your licensed eye care provider.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.